The Heritage of Tasmania: Southern Region

external image The%2BHeritage%2Bof%2BTasmania-%2Bthe%2Billustrated%2Bregister%2Bof%2Bthe%2BNational%2BEstate%2B518181563.0.m.1.jpg
[Previous Post: National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 10 .... Next Post: National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 12]

This post is derived from "The Heritage of Tasmania; The Illustrated Register of the National Estate" (Macmillan, Melbourne 1983)

The Tasmanian National Trust Heritage list has been 'rescinded' by the State Government, so on these pages I have started to reconstruct it.
  1. Southern Region (p.9 - p.14)
  2. South-Eastern Region (p.15 ->)
  3. Western Region
  4. North West Region
  5. North East Region

1. Southern Region of Tasmania

  1. Bothwell (earlier page)

  2. Brighton (previous page)

  3. Bruny (this page)

  4. Clarence (next page)

  5. Esperance (following page)

(Property Links below are usually to the Australian Heritage Database Listing)

Samuel Clifford, 'Adventure Bay where Captain Cook landed in 1771', c 1873 (W.L. Crowther Library, SLT)
Samuel Clifford, 'Adventure Bay where Captain Cook landed in 1771', c 1873 (W.L. Crowther Library, SLT)

Bruny Island
Bruny Island is an island off the south-eastern coast of Tasmania, from which it is separated by the D’Entrecasteaux Channel.
Bruny Island has some of Tasmania's most beautifully preserved natural environments with abundant wildlife and stunning cliff top views.
  • The island is about 50 km long but appears to be two islands with North and South Bruny joined by a narrow strip of land called The Neck. This isthmus is an important habitat for native wildlife.
A highlight is South Bruny National Park, with towering cliffs overlooking long sandy beaches, coastal heathland, and underwater gardens of kelp seaweed with some amazing bushwalks to take it all in.
  • The island is also a haven for many rare and endangered plants and animals.
external image bruny-island-lighthouse.jpgexternal image Bruny%2BSlideshow-Friars.jpgexternal image Bruny_Island-Cape_Bruny_Lighthouse2_698px.jpgexternal image Cape%2BBruny%2BLight%2BStation%2BWS_Image.gif

Bruny Island figured prominently in the early exploration of the southern seas, and was partially charted by Tasman in 1642.
  • It was inhabited by the Nuenonne band of the South East tribe of Aborigines.
  • Mangana, father of Truganini, was the chief when Furneaux visited in 1773 and Cook in 1777.
  • William Bligh planted the first Tasmanian apple tree and grapevine, calling into Adventure Bay four times.
  • The French explorer Bruny d'Entrecasteaux, after whom the island is named, called between 1792–93.

Early settlement commenced with Captain James Kelly's grant of land on North Bruny in 1818, followed closely by shore-based whaling stations in the 1820s.
  • Convict labour was used to establish a pilot station at Variety Bay from 1831, and subsequently in 1846 to build St Peter's church in the same area. Convicts also helped construct the Cape Bruny Lighthouse in 1836.
    • Land was cleared to establish sheep and cattle farms; fruit orchards flourished; sawmills supplied timber as far afield as Europe; a sandstone quarry provided stone for buildings such as the Melbourne Post Office.
    • A coal mine was operating in the late 1880s and oil explorations were carried out in 1915 and the 1930s.
  • For over a hundred years trading ketches and steamers travelling from Hobart, calling at one or other of the forty-odd jetties around the island, were the main means of contact with the outside world, until the vehicular ferry was established in 1954.
  • The construction of the north-south road along the isthmus was completed in 1950. Previously the Neck beach at low tide was used as a road.
  • Read more at Companion to Tasmanian History
external image cbf1ef05c2fa697c716363dd36a9fa1c-south-bruny-national-park.jpg
external image p1058923383-3.jpg

See more photos
Map of Bruny National Park

3. Bruny Island Municipality
external image BIH_00054_3_w.jpg
Bruny Island is around 100 kilometres long, and is made up of two almost separate islands, connected by a slender isthmus of sand dunes known as 'The Neck'.
  • South Bruny Island is hilly and forested, containing the National Estate listed Labillardiere State Reserve, and has settlements at Alonnah and Lunawanna while North Bruny Island is only lightly timbered and contains open pastureland and the townships of Barnes Bay and Dennes Point.
  • Bruny Island is also home to a wide range of indigenous marsupials, marine life and birds.

Bruny Island's first recorded European encounter occurred in November 1642 when Abel Tasman sailed along the coast and entered Adventure Bay with his ships, the Zeehaen and Heenskerck.
  • Adventure Bay on Bruny Island was later named after the ship of Tobias Furneaux, which anchored off the coast of the island in 1773.
external image Copy%20of%20Court%20House%20History%20Room.jpg

Court House History Room, Alonnah (courtesy Bruny Island Historical Society)

Captain Cook spent two days in the area after anchoring in Adventure Bay in January 1777, making contact with the local Aboriginal people during his visit. This was Cook’s last port of call in Australian waters before his death in Hawaii in 1779.
  • Captain Bligh reached Adventure Bay in 1788, returning four years later. During his 1788 visit Bligh planted the first apple tree and grape vine in Tasmania at Adventure Bay. Also on board Matthew Flinders, who was at that time a midshipman on Captain Bligh’s ‘Bounty’.
  • The island itself was named after Bruni D'Entrecasteaux, a French explorer reached the island in 1792-93.
    It was D'Entrecasteaux who discovered that the island was, in fact, an island when a mistake in his navigation saw him enter the channel, now known as D'Entrecasteaux Channel, which separated it from Tasmania.
    The current spelling of Bruny Island was adopted in 1918.
  • For more information see

1. Fluted Cape State Reserve Adventure Bay, TAS, Australia

  • (Registered) Register of the National Estateexternal image image bruny_cliffs03.jpg
    Spectacular dolerite cliffs reaching their maxium development at Fluted Cape. 274 metres almost sheer from the sea, the coastal scenery afforded by these cliffs has a high aesthetic value. Also associations with early navigators.
  • Fluted Cape is a massive dolerite cliff bounding the southern edge of Adventure Bay. The cliffs rise sheer from the sea to 274 metres on the southern side, with a more gently sloping northern face sweeping down to Adventure Bay.
  • Penguin Island is on the easterly tip of the place. It is a rocky knoll rising to 67 m, separated by 100m of water although accessible across rocks at low tide.
    • The place includes a strip of land along the cliffline for some 25 kilometres to Pyramid Bay.
    The Adventure Bay area has many historic associations and early botanical significance.
  • Furneaux anchored in Adventure Bay on March 11 1773 and named Penguin Island. The type specimen of EUCALYPTUS CORDATA was collected on Penguin Island and named by botanist Labilladiere.
  • external image 04AUS-30139-Fluted-Cape-Tasmania.jpgOn January 26 1777 Captain James Cook anchored here and named, among other sites, Grass Point adjacent to Penguin Island where feed for the animals was collected. Tussocks of native POA spp. grass are still found at the point.
    Botanists on the voyage collected plants in the area and named type specimens of several well-known plant species. Although the precise sites are not known, it seems likely that these early botanists explored the nearby forests on the lower slopes of Fluted Cape.
    • The dramatic profile of Fluted Cape cliffs from the seaward side was painted by William Ellis, amateur artist and surgeon on Cook's voyage. This painting is now in the State Library of Victoria. The cliffs are a well-known and spectacular landmark from the seaward side as well as from other viewpoints in southern Tasmania.

2. Waterfall Creek State Reserve, Adventure Bay, TAS, Australia

About 24ha, 3km south-west of Adventure Bay Town, comprising the area enclosing Waterwall Creek from near its source to approx 2km downstream and including land to approximately 100 metres on either side of its banks.

3. Labillardiere State Reserve, South Bruny National Park, Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia,

  • about 50 kilometres south of Hobart. The park contains the Cape Bruny Lighthouse.
  • Labillardiere State Reserve
    For all its history, it is the natural beauty of Bruny Island which is really captivating. The beaches are impossibly white, the waters (on a clear day) are wonderfully blue, and the road winds from one bay to the next.
    The Labillardiere State Reserve on South Bruny has been listed by the National Estate. The listing gives an indication of the appeal of the area
    • 'Labillardiere carries a diverse selection of its vegetation, including structures of open forest, eucalypt woodland, open woodland, scrub/heath associations, shrubland, open shrubland, hummock grassland, herbland and closed herbland. Wildflowers grow in great profusion and giant trees thrive in the forests...It provides a representation of southern Tasmanian flora and fauna in a largely pristine condition.'
      • About 2332ha, 12km south-west of Lunawanna, comprising the Labillardiere Peninsula from a line extending north-west from the top of Mabel Bay including offshore islands, Partridge Island, sand areas. Excluding private and Commonwealth land.
  • This part of South Bruny National Park is characterised by heath and woodland communities on doleritic soils. The heaths are varied and the landscape qualities of the place are high. Spectacular dolerite cliffs and sandy bays dominate the south coast.

4. Cape Bruny Lightstation Lighthouse Road, Cape Bruny via Lunawanna, TAS, Australia

external image Cape%20Bruny%20wb%201.jpgexternal image d89ffd634c9a0a23562c465995125dd1.jpgexternal image IntranetNewsWS_Image.aspx?id=2749&type=full&sb=.jpg
Cape Bruny Lightstation, built in 1838, is significant as the fourth lightstation to be erected in Australia, and third oldest lighthouse in Tasmania. (Criterion B.2).
Bruny Island Heritage
Bruny Island Heritage

  • The lightstation is significant for its association with the establishment of navigational aids to guide colonial era shipping into the major port of Hobart Town and reflects the early importance of Tasmania in the Australian colonies.(Criterion A.4).
  • The lighthouse, constructed using convict labour is also significant for its association with John Lee Archer, architect of the lighthouse and noted Tasmanian Colonial Engineer.(Criterion H.1).
  • The lightstation is significant for its potential to reveal aspects about the running of such an early station, the lifestyles of the inhabitants over time, and details about the C.1838 And subsequent buildings.(Criterion C.2).
  • The lightstation, with its exposed, dramatic and remote location is significant for its aesthetic appeal. (Criterion E.1).

Also listed on the Australian Heritage Register

5. Adventure Bay Area, Adventure Bay, TAS, Australia;

  • (Indicative Place) Register of the National Estate
  • The first European to sight the bay was explorer Abel Tasman, who sought to anchor his vessel Heemskerck there in 1642. Instead, Heemskerck was driven back offshore by a storm, in token of which Tasman named the place Storm Bay.
  • external image BIH_00069_1_w.jpgexternal image BIH_00069_3_w.jpgexternal image BIH_00069_4_w.jpg
Click thumbnail for a larger image.
Captain Tobias Furneaux renamed it in March 1773, in honour of his ship HMS Adventure, which he had anchored in the bay for five days after becoming separated from Captain James Cook's HMS Resolution during Cook's second voyage to the Pacific search of Terra Australis Incognita.
    • Furneaux's log made clear the bay was an excellent anchorage for resupplying vessels:
      "To the SW of the first watering place there is a large lagoon which I believe has plenty of fish in it for one of our Gentlemen caught upwards of 2 dozen trout, and shot a possum which was the only animal we saw. There are a great many gum trees and of a vast thickness and height, one of which measured in circumference 26 feet and the height under the branches was 20 feet"
  • Access by the public to the site must be supervised as it is surrounded by a working farm and to satisfy the stipulations of the lease agreement.
  • Visitors interested in touring the site should contact Suzanne Smythe on 0409 259 118. Cost is a donation to the Historical Society.

Bruny Island is two islands joined by a narrow isthmus called "the Neck".Neck Beach, Adventure Bay, Simpsons Bay, Bruny Island, TAS
Bruny Island is two islands joined by a narrow isthmus called "the Neck".Neck Beach, Adventure Bay, Simpsons Bay, Bruny Island, TAS

Variety Bay Historic Sites 150 Trumpeter Road NORTH BRUNY 7150

The Variety Bay area on Bruny Island contains a number of important archaeological sites dating back to Tasmania's early settlement period. It includes the remains of an 1830s pilot station, an early brickworks, and the ruin of one of the earliest Anglican churches in southern Tasmania.
  • The Variety Bay historic sites form an important part of the cultural landscape of Bruny Island, which has associations with some of the earliest European explorers in Australia, the convict labour system, and the development of communities in southern Tasmania.
external image Watch%2BTower.jpgexternal image Ferry__Pilots_house_Barnes_Bay_Bruny_Island__from_a_painting.jpgexternal image george_peat_ewen_alison_mangana_1876.jpgexternal image Barnes%2BBay%2BPilot%2Bstation%2Bon%2BBruny%2BIsland%2Bcirca%2B1850.jpg
Read all about the Bruny Island ferry
  1. The pilot station, one of Tasmania's oldest, is an important site in the course of Tasmania's settlement history, because of its role in regulating the shipping traffic into Hobart from 1831-1854.
    The pilot station was established at Variety Bay on North Bruny Island from 1831. This was set up with the extensive aid of convict labour. Remains can still be seen at the site today and include the foundations of three recognizable buildings, bakers oven, rock and brick lined cellar and a rock walled watch tower.
  2. The brickworks was a key site in the development of local industries and communities on Bruny Island.
external image Brick%2BKiln.jpg external image Bricks%2Bfrom%2BKitchen.jpgexternal image Kitchen%2BCorner.jpgexternal image Oven%2BRemains.jpg Read all about the brickworks, and its archaeology
3. The ruin of St Peter's Anglican church is also important, being representative of the spread of the Anglican faith throughout southern Tasmania and the key focus for Anglicans on Bruny Island and surrounding regions in the mid 19th Century. (Criterion A4).
  • The archaeological sites at Variety Bay, especially the pilot station ruins, have outstanding potential to reveal information about early settlement on Bruny Island and the surrounding region.
    • Most of the pilot station's archaeological features remain relatively undisturbed, and could provide significant clues about activities and operations there in the 1830-1850 period. (Criterion C2).
    • The Bruny Island community has demonstrated a strong sense of attachment to the Variety Bay sites.
    • The Bruny Island Historical Society has invested significant amounts of time and effort in the ongoing conservation of the area, an activity which is strongly supported by the current landowners and the local community.
  • external image Bruny%2BIsland%2B-%2Bchurch%2Bruins%2BPH30-1-5748%2524stream.jpgexternal image Bruny%2BIsland%2B-%2Bchurch%2Bruins%2BNS3195-1-3510%2524stream.jpgexternal image Bruny%2BIsland%2B-%2Bchurch%2Bruins%2BPH30-1-5749%2524stream.jpgexternal image Bruny%2BIsland%2B-%2Bchurch%2Bruins%2Bchurch-1-small.jpg
St Peters Church (1846) was built in the vicinity of the pilot station, also using convict labour. This was the first Anglican Church built south of Hobart. The church is now a ruin.
  • The St Peter's church ruin is also an important community icon, being one of the earliest Anglican churches in the wider region, associated with the development of the Anglican faith on Bruny Island and the wider region. It is also associated with the man who designed and consecrated it, Russell Nixon, the first Anglican Bishop of Tasmania (Criteria G1, H1).
Variety Bay Church is a National Cultural Heritage site (courtesy Bruny Island Historical Society)
  • external image Copy%20of%20Boiler%20at%20Clennetts%20Top%20Mill.jpgexternal image Copy%20of%20Variety%20Bay%20Church.jpg
The Variety Bay Historic Sites also contain Aboriginal heritage places that are possibly of National Estate significance.
Permanent European settlement of the island began in 1818 when Captain James Kelly was granted land on North Bruny. Shore based whaling stations were established in the 1820s.
  • Description:
    In 1830 William Lawrence applied for a 320 acre land grant at Variety Bay in order to establish the island's first pilot station.
  • The station was completed in 1831 and Lawrence became the official pilot, responsible for guiding ships into the mouth of the Derwent River and safe anchorage at Hobart.
  • Locating the station in Variety Bay gave lookouts a wide view of sea traffic approaching Hobart via Storm Bay and the mouth of the Derwent River. Pilots from the station would board the ships and guide them into port.
    • The Variety Bay pilot station soon became an important link in the water traffic in and out of southern Tasmania. During its time of operation, from 1831-1854, it had upwards of a few hundred employees and convict labourers working on site.

The pilot station complex was destroyed by fire in the 1850s, and was not rebuilt. However, the extensive archaeological remains that exist there have been left largely untouched since. The level of past activity at the Variety Bay pilot station is reflected in the concentration of archaeological features at the site.
    • Among the main features are the brick foundations of the main structure, the ruin of a circular rock-walled watch tower, now standing only approximately 1.5 metres in height, a brick lined cellar and a brick baker's oven. The foundations of the convict quarters, foundations of a stable and a number of stone/brick landscape features are also evident. Remnants of the garden, featuring flowering bulbs and oats, can also be found within close proximity to the main building's foundations.
The ruins of the pilot station are potentially significant archaeologically. Because the station burned down, the site was virtually abandoned as it was. The lack of significant disturbance since means that excavations could potentially provide an interesting and informative record of daily life there, and add to our understanding of its role in regulating shipping traffic into Hobart. To date, no archaeological excavations are believed to have taken place at the site.
  • The Variety Bay Pilot Station is one of the oldest pilot stations in Tasmania.
  • >> The oldest of these is thought to be the Low Head Pilot Station, at George Town near Launceston, which was first established in 1805. The extant stone buildings at Low Head were constructed in 1835 and are therefore contemporary with the Variety Bay ruins.
    • The Low Head buildings, however, remain standing and are currently part of a Museum complex. Nonetheless, the Variety Bay Pilot Station is still important for its archaeological potential and for its contribution to the building of the port of Hobart.

Historic Area at Variety Bay Bruny Island
Historic Area at Variety Bay Bruny Island

  • external image Brick%2BKiln%2Bslide4-e1404211592377.jpg
  • The site of the old brick works lies several hundred metres to the south of the pilot station.
  • >> Bricks manufactured here may have been used to construct the pilot station, meaning the brick works could pre-date 1831. Bricks were probably manufactured using convict labour. Up until the early 1950s there were still thousands of bricks on site. In 1954, the Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration was erected at Adventure Bay. Some 26,000 bricks were taken from the brick works site to construct this building.
    • The remains of the Variety Bay brickworks are quite substantial, featuring the ruin of a large kiln and associated clay pit.
    • The kiln remains are surrounded by clay and stone rubble, which was used to insulate the kilns.
      • In 1954 Len Mitchell and John Davis were among a group of mates that dismantled the Variety Bay kilns with their load of bricks that had remained untouched since they were fired, around the 1830s – 1840s.
      • Some 26,000 bricks were taken from the brick works site and removed to Adventure Bay where the Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration was constructed – to the design of St Peter’s. Read more about this

external image Bligh%2BMuseum%2Bslide58.jpgexternal image Bligh%2BMusem%2BBruny%2BIsland.jpgexternal image Bligh%2BMuseum%2Bthumbnail.jpgexternal image Bligh%2Bmuseum%2Bslide1.jpgexternal image Bligh%2BMuseum.jpg
    • While the site was probably disturbed during the removal of the 26,000 bricks in the 1950s, the kiln site itself is relatively undisturbed, and may have archaeological potential. The Variety Bay site is a relatively unusual example of an early Tasmanian convict brickworks, and was probably instrumental in the establishment of various European communities on Bruny Island.

15. St Peter's Church Ruin (Trust Property) "Murrayfield", Trumpeter Road, Bruny Island
  • external image StPVB1915.jpgexternal image StPVB1.jpgexternal image StPVB2.jpg
  • Classified
  • St. Peters Church is of historic heritage significance because of its ability to demonstrate a pattern of ecclesiastical development in Victorian rural Tasmania.
    • St. Peters Church ruins are of historic heritage significance because of their association with Bishop Nixon, who designed the church.
    • St. Peters Church is of historic heritage significance because of its potential to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a nineteenth century rural ecclesiasitical building.
    • St. Peters Church site has the potential to yield important information, of an archaeological nature, that may contribute to a greater understanding of Tasmanias history.

  • Description: The St. Peters Church was a gable roofed brick building with brick corbelling to the eaves. The building no longer has a roof and the walls have been braced to protect them from falling. ARCHITECTURAL STYLE:- Old Colonial Gothick
  • Tasmanian Heritage Register Place ID #7078
The ruin of St Peter's Anglican Church, approximately 800 metres south-west of the pilot station site is another important site in the Variety Bay area.
  • The church was constructed by Lawrence (the pilot) in 1846, to the design of Russell Nixon, the first Anglican Bishop of Tasmania.
  • Bishop Nixon laid the foundation stone in 1841 and the church was officially opened in 1847 by Archdeacon Marriott, with Nixon consecrating it in 1850.
  • At the time of its construction, St Peter's at Variety Bay was one of the few existing church buildings south of Hobart. In the 1850-1890 period it served as a base for the Anglican community from Bruny Island and the adjacent D'Entrecasteaux Channel coast. In 1892 a large portion of the church, including the roof, was damaged in a bushfire. Some of the original pews were salvaged and removed to a church in North Bruny Island.
  • external image Alonnah%2B40345242.jpgSt Peter's was constructed on the crest of a hill, allowing it to be seen from a great distance away. There is also evidence that its yard was used as an early cemetery. Three unmarked graves have been located (and have since been outlined with bricks), although the identity of those buried there is unknown.
  • Local oral history suggests that in previous times five wooden crosses, representing the graves of five ticket-of-leave men, were visible within a large yard surrounded by a picket fence.
  • The Variety Bay sites have been the focus of strong interest from Bruny Islanders.
  • The Bruny Island Historical Society has invested large amounts of time and effort in protecting and curating the sites, and raising funds for ongoing conservation works.
  • They have also worked very closely with the current owners, who are highly supportive of efforts to safeguard the sites. Wider community attachment to the site can be demonstrated in the number of donations received from local organisations towards conservation efforts.
  • Individually, these features provide valuable evidence of particular activities that were once important, both in the immediate vicinity and the wider Bruny Island region. The pilot station, being instrumental in the guidance of shipping into Hobart, represents an important phase in the early development of Tasmania as an independent colony. Together, the features form an informative and interesting record of early life on Bruny Island.
  • Tasmanian Heritage Register #7078

6. Indigenous Place, Alonnah, TAS, Australia

  • (Registered) Register of the National Estate
    and also Indigenous Place Alonnah, TAS, Australia
  • ALONNAH: Originally named Mills Reef, but renamed in 1909 to preserve half the aboriginal name for Bruny Island, ‘Lunawanna- Alonnah’. It is now the island’s administrative centre.
  • Alonnah is a small township on the western side of Bruny Island, Tasmania, facing the D'Entrecasteaux Channel. Originally named Mill's Reef, it was renamed in the early 1900s after part of the Tasmanian aboriginal name for Bruny Island, Lunawanna-alonnah (a nearby township a little to its south being named Lunawanna. Mill's Reef Post Office opened on 1 February 1905 and was renamed Alonnah in 1909.[2] At the 2006 census, Alonnah had a population of 302.[1]
    Alonnah is the main location in Bruny Island for government facilities, including post office, police station, primary school, internet centre, community library, pharmacy, and health centre with nurses, a visiting doctor, physiotherapist, and other health practitioners. There is also a museum located in the court house, Bruny Hotel, and a small general store.
  • external image 15-ritchie-street-alonnah-tas-7150-real-estate-photo-17-large-9736644.jpgexternal image 15-ritchie-street-alonnah-tas-7150-real-estate-photo-4-large-9736644.jpgexternal image 259%2BLennon%2BRoad%252C%2BNorth%2BBruny%2BTAS%2B7150_1_pi_150315_114614.jpg

7. Indigenous Place, Lunawanna, TAS, Australia

  • (Registered) Register of the National Estate
  • LUNAWANNA: Renamed from ‘Daniel’s Bay’ in 1907 to preserve the other half of the aboriginal name for Bruny Island.


Truganini is probably the best known Tasmanian Aboriginal women of the colonial era.
  • She was of the Nuenonne group, born on Bruny Island in about 1812, just nine years after British settlement was established further north on the mainland, close to what is now Hobart.
  • By the time she had learned to collect food and make shell necklaces, the colonial presence became not only intrusive but dangerous. She had experienced and witnessed violence, rape and brutalities inflicted on her people. By the time she was 17 she had lost her mother, sister, uncle and would-be partner to violent incidents involving sailors, sealers, soldiers and wood cutters.
  • At this time, in 1829, the Black War was under way and Truganini was detained at the Missionary Bay station on Bruny Island. Placed in the custody of Augustus Robinson, a government-backed conciliator who set out to capture all independently living Tasmanian Aborigines, she remained for the rest of her life under the supervision of colonial officers. Except for a short interlude, accompanying Robinson in his travels to Port Phillip (now part of Melbourne), she spent 20 years imprisoned, with other Aboriginal Tasmanians, on Flinders Island, and another 17 years in the Oyster Cove camp, south of Hobart.
Details of her biography are sketchy, predominantly drawn from the journals and papers of Robinson, with whom she was associated for ten turbulent years until her long detention on Flinders Island.
  • She was bright, intelligent and energetic, known as one of the few Aboriginal Tasmanians rooted in pre-contact language and culture, who survived beyond the middle of the 19th century. She was frequently depicted in paintings and photographs.
  • Read more at Australian Museum
Bust of Truganini L1014
Bust of Truganini L1014

(Truganini) Trugernanner (1812?-1876),

Tasmanian Aboriginal, was born in Van Diemen's Land on the western side of the D'Entrecasteaux Channel, in the territory of the south-east tribe.
  • Her father was Mangerner, leader of one of the tribe's bands, and in her adolescence she was associated with its traditional culture, making occasional visits to Port Davey.
  • The tribe was disrupted by European sealers, whalers and timber-getters; by March 1829, when she and her father met G. A. Robinson at Bruny Island, her mother had been killed by sailors, her uncle shot by a soldier, her sister abducted by sealers, and Paraweena, a young man who was to have been her husband, murdered by timber-getters.
  • At Bruny Island mission in 1829 she 'married' Woorraddy, from Bruny. They were associated with all the missions that Robinson and his sons conducted around Tasmania in 1830-35; they acted as guides and as instructors in their languages and customs, which were recorded by Robinson in his journal, the best ethnographic record now available of traditional Tasmanian Aboriginal society. Read more at Australian Biography
Trugernanner (1812-1876), by unknown photographer
Trugernanner (1812-1876), by unknown photographer
Truganini (Trugernanner, Trukanini, Trucanini) (1812?–1876),
Aboriginal woman, was the daughter of Mangana, leader of a band of the south-east tribe.
  • In her youth she took part in her people's traditional culture, but Aboriginal life was disrupted by European invasion. When Truganini met GA Robinson in 1829, her mother had been killed by sailors, her uncle shot by a soldier, her sister abducted by sealers, and her fiancé murdered by timber-getters. At Robinson's Bruny Island mission she married Woorady, and they were associated with Robinson's travels around Tasmania from 1830 to 1835, acting as his guides and teaching him their language and customs, which he recorded. They went to the Flinders Island settlement in 1835, Robinson renaming Truganini 'Lallah Rook', but she retained her traditional ways, and was dismayed at the broken promises that made the settlement a death camp for Aboriginal people.
In 1839 Truganini, Woorady and fourteen others accompanied Robinson to Port Phillip, but after two of the men were hanged for murder, the rest were sent back to Flinders, Woorady dying on the way.
  • With the other Aborigines, Truganini went to Oyster Cove in 1847. Here she resumed to some extent her earlier lifestyle, diving for shellfish, visiting Bruny Island and hunting in the bush. By 1869 she and William Lanne were the only two 'full-bloods' alive, and in 1874 she moved to Hobart, where she died. She was concerned, rightly, that after her death her body would be mutilated by 'scientists', and it was on display in the Tasmanian Museum until 1951.
In 1976, a century after Truganini died, the Tasmanian Aboriginal community requested that Truganini be cremated and scattered in the D'Entrecasteaux Channel near her homeland. The ceremony was a moving and significant occasion which encouraged Tasmanians to recognise the ongoing existence, rights and cultural responsibilities of Tasmanian Aboriginal people.
external image Truganini.jpg

8. Lutregala Marsh Area Bruny Island Main Road, Simpsons Bay, TAS, Australia

  • (Indicative Place) Register of the National Estate
    • Part of Lutregala Marsh is a private reserve of some 50 hectares, the balance includes part of the Bruny Island Neck Game Reserve, located on the southern end of Isthmus Bay. Isthmus Bay lies on the landward (westerly) side of the narrow neck of land which joins north and south Bruny Island.
  • Lutregala Marsh is bisected by Simpson's Creek which rises in the low hills of the South Bruny Range and flows northwards to discharge into Isthmus Bay at Simpson's Bay. The mouth of Simpson's Creek and the mudflats are important feeding sites for birdlife.
  • The low profile of the place, at less than 5 metres above sea level, results in a saline substrate and a variety of vegetation communities tolerant of saltmarsh conditions. These range from woodlands, to tussock grasslands, sedgelands, rushlands and succulent herbfields.
  • It has been shown at Lutregala that a change in altitude of as little as 7cm controls the boundary between vegetation communities.
  • Lutregala Marsh is classified as an intermediate marsh with more or less equal areas of emergent and submergent zones.
  • The place has the backing vegetation intact, protecting the natural pattern of plant communities in such a tidal area

9. Mount Mangana Invertebrate Site, Adventure Bay, TAS, Australia

10. Quarantine Station State Reserve Killora Road, Barnes Bay, TAS, Australia

  • (Indicative Place) Register of the National Estate
  • The site is significant as a rare Tasmania example of a late nineteenth century quarantine station for people demonstrating the current institutional attitudes for class and health. Although rarely used for the purpose it was intended, it was used for returning World War I soldiers and this association with the then current Australia-wide fear of influenza is demonstrated by the marked graves present. The establishment of a Tasmanian Quarantine Station, the assumption of plant quarantine and finally its closure, traces the history and changes in State and Federal responsibilities, in the realities of the role of Tasmania as an initial (?) landing point for immigrants, and in the change in public health management techniques.
    Despite some building losses which have eroded the site's importance, the place still has a high cultural significance at the state level.

11. South Bruny National Park (Part) Lunawanna, TAS, Australia

external image Scenic%2BBush%2BWalks%2Bimage_20.jpgexternal image Whales%2B000802_c864_0069_csls.jpg
  • Labillardiere State Reserve contains a significant diversity of heath communities, with seven of the nine heath communities found on Bruny Island (Criterion A.3).
  • Partridge Island provides habitat for a population of the nationally endangered Forty-spotted Pardalote (PARDALOTUS QUADRAGINTUS) (Criterion B.1).
  • Labillardiere State Reserve also contains representative communities of shrubby Messmate (EUCALYPTUS OBLIQUA) forest (Criterion D.1)

Additional listings:
Original National Trust of Tasmania Register Listfor Bruny Municipality, Tasmania external image The%2BCountry%2BTowns%2Band%2BVillages%2Bof%2BTasmania-%2BRegister%2Bof%2BListed%2BBuildings%2Bmd2192640389.jpg(from "The Country Towns and Villages of Tasmania" Register of Listed Buildings, edited by J.N.D. Harrison, Hobart 1976)pages 61-62

12.Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration
  • Classified
    Placeholder image
    Placeholder image
    The Bligh Museum is a privately-run history museum at Adventure Bay, Bruny Island. Bruny Island lies off the south coast of Tasmania and is accessed by a 15-minute car ferry from Kettering, a 40-minute drive south of Hobart (34 km).
    Built from thousands of convict-made bricks, the Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration features a specialised collection relating to exploration in the South Pacific. A display of maps, documents, paintings and other artefacts offers a historical record of visits to Adventure Bay by explorers Captain William Bligh, Captain James Cook, Tobias Furneaux, Matthew Flinders and Admiral Joseph-Antoine Bruny D'Entrecasteaux. Notable works by Tobin, Webber and Hodges are also included in the collection. The Museum's foundation stone was laid on 9th September 1955 - the 200th anniversary of Captain William Bligh's birth. Website

13. Cook's Tree, Two Tree Point, Adventure Bay Road ADVENTURE BAY 7150

  • Classified
Two Tree Point. When you look around, there’s so many trees… why are the two on the point so significant?
Photo: Two Tree Point Historical marker
Photo: Two Tree Point Historical marker

Photo: Sign at Two Tree Point marking where Captain James Cook collected water from Resolution Creek
Photo: Sign at Two Tree Point marking where Captain James Cook collected water from Resolution Creek

According to the Tasmanian Heritage Council website…
  • This place is important because it is an early European landing site within Australia, and demonstrates the evolution of Tasmania’s history. Both Captain James Cook and Captain William Bligh replenished their supplies of fresh water from Resolution Creek at Two Tree Point. Although it is not known whether the two trees on the point were standing at the time of these early European visits, it is known that in 1792 William Bligh spent two weeks on the ship the Providence at Adventure Bay.
    • During this time a member of the ships crew, Lieutenant George Tobin, produced a series of watercolours of the place. One of these pictures, ‘In Adventure Bay, Van Diemen’s Land’, shows a point with two trees on it. These trees look very like younger versions of the two trees that currently stand there. It has not been established conclusively that the two trees are those painted by Tobin. However, the two existing trees and their setting on the point correspond closely with the historical imagery of this early landing site, as depicted by Tobin. This area has changed little since 1792, and is evocative of the landscape that would have been experienced by 18th century European visitors to Tasmania. Read more...
    • Photo: Cook's Tree, Two Tree Point
      Photo: Cook's Tree, Two Tree Point
  • Two Tree Point, Adventure Bay Bruny Island, the site of Resolution Creek
  • Tasmanian Heritage Register #10914

The Bruny Island Ferry website is another really good source of historical information about Captain James Cook and the other European explorers to visit Bruny Island.

14. Barnes Bay, Lennonville (1838)

  • Registered
Barnes Bay runs from the Channel near Roberts Point, (incorporating Simmonds Bay, Quarantine or Half Moon Bay and Shelter Cove) and back around to ghe Channel near Woodcutters Point.
  • Barnes Bay is one of the safest anchorages in the state and a good spot to picnic. Fishing is available from the jetty and McCracken's Creek is a great spot for birdwatchers.
    The Barnes Bay Regatta is usually held at the end of February or the beginning of March each year.
  • The first vehicular ferry-service to Bruny Island began on December 13th 1954, with the Melba running from Kettering to Barnes Bay.
  • R.A. Roberts established a soap making business in 1823 here in Barnes Bay, the first in the colony. Salt production was another industry in the settlement.
  • Tasmanian Heritage Register Place ID #8763 Roberts Salt and Soap Factory Site Lennon Road NORTH BRUNY 7150
Bruny Island Quarantine Station - Building complex including hut 5 Date : 1945
Bruny Island Quarantine Station - Building complex including hut 5 Date : 1945

Bruny Island Quarantine Station - Caretakers quarters - From north (RHS) Date : 1945
Bruny Island Quarantine Station - Caretakers quarters - From north (RHS) Date : 1945

The Lennonville site is significant as a rare Tasmania example of a late nineteenth century quarantine station for people demonstrating the current institutional attitudes for class and health.
  • Although rarely used for the purpose it was intended, it was used for returning World War I soldiers and this association with the then current Australia-wide fear of influenza is demonstrated by the marked graves present.
  • The establishment of a Tasmanian Quarantine Station, the assumption of plant quarantine and finally its closure, traces the history and changes in State and Federal responsibilities, in the realities of the role of Tasmania as an initial (?) landing point for immigrants, and in the change in public health management techniques.
  • Despite some building losses which have eroded the site's importance, the place still has a high cultural significance at the state level.
  • Read much more on this page
    • Mr Grunseth owns a big chunk of Bruny Island. He has turned the 126 hectare property called Lennonville into a thriving cherry business. He has visions for another 160 hectares, or 400 acres in the old money, that he bought six years ago. Read more at ABC