Yalla-Y-Poora Homestead, Ararat area, Victoria

external image Map%252520of%252520Yalla-y-Poora.jpg


[Previous post: Burnewang, Bendigo Vic ... Next post: Sefton Hall, Mount Wilson]

Yalla-Y-Poora Homestead Mount William Road, Tatyoon, VIC, Australia


Yalla-Y-Poora is a large historic working farm in the Western District of Victoria.
The current homestead was built in 1905 in the Federation Free Style, after the original 1865 mid Victorian bluestone home was demolished due to damage caused by continued raising damp.
Yalla-Y-Poora is currently undergoing restoration.

Photograph : 1967 by Collins, John T., 1907-2001
Photograph : 1967 by Collins, John T., 1907-2001

Location

Webbs Road,TATYOON, Ararat Rural City
Photograph : 1967 by Collins, John T., 1907-2001
Photograph : 1967 by Collins, John T., 1907-2001

Statement of Significance


Yalla-Y-Poora Homestead, Tatyoon, is a complex of station buildings built, it is believed, in the 1860's for pastoralist John Ware, although the station dates from the 1840's and has historical associations with the early history of the district. The station buildings are notable as representative examples of their building type and form part of a complex of bluestone structures notable for their distinctive detailing.
external image Yalla-Y-Poora-Homestead.jpg
  • The main house was built in 1905.
  • It is a large two storey house built of bluestone and features a picturesquely arranged Edwardian Freestyle two level masonry verandah with projecting bays and a main central arch. Leadlighting and ceiling mouldings feature art Nouveau decoration.
external image 5219004905_bc7f63531d.jpg
external image IMGP1041.jpg
external image IMGP1456yalla.jpg
external image IMGP2045.jpg
external image IMGP2135yalla.jpg
external image IMGP8417.jpg

Original Homestead and Garden at Yalla-y-Poora Station
Original Homestead and Garden at Yalla-y-Poora Station

National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne - Yalla-y-Poora, 1864, artist: Eugène von GUÉRARD
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne - Yalla-y-Poora, 1864, artist: Eugène von GUÉRARD

Original landscape at Yalla-y-Poora station
Original landscape at Yalla-y-Poora station

Typically, von Guérard's patrons were the squatters who had settled the inland and had become quite prosperous and were perhaps the most important group of art patrons in Victoria.[1] * He was often able to obtain commissions from them to paint 'homestead portraits' in the 1850s and early 1860s. * One of these is Yalla-y-Poora homestead 1864. * Von Guérard was one of several painters who produced these for the wealthy squatters who liked to have their property represented as an image displayed in the house. * Other 'homestead portraits' by von Guérard include * From the Veranda of Purrumbete 1858,
  • Mr Clark's Station, Deep Creek, near Keilor 1867 and
  • Woodlands1869.


Manager's Cottage

Manager's bluestone cottage, Yalla-y-poora, Tatyoon, forms part of a complex of station buildings notable as a representative example of their building type, with historical associations with the settlement of the region and architecturally of consequence for their design and detailing.
  • The Manager's Cottage is a single storey residence that may date from c.1866.
  • The gabled bluestone residence is arranged about a small court with a timber verandah on some sides. Roofs are slate and features include timber bargeboards and a clock.
  • The Manager's Cottage is an eclectic design with an essentially Colonial style carcass decorated with Gothic derived bargeboards.
  • The Manager's Cottage is understood to be in good condition and essentially intact.
Yalla-Y-Poora Managers Bluestone Cottage
Yalla-Y-Poora Managers Bluestone Cottage

Yalla-Y-Poora Coach House and Stables,
Yalla-Y-Poora Coach House and Stables,

The Smithy Yalla-Y-Poora Estate
The Smithy Yalla-Y-Poora Estate

Yalla-Y-Poora Coach House and Stables
Yalla-Y-Poora Coach House and Stables


The Smithy

The Smithy is a stone structure, constructed in random rubble bluestone. The single storey smithy has a gable iron roof with flatter pitches over presumably later extensions. The gable end is clad in weatherboards.
  • The Smithy is in a colonial vernacular style and the central section may well be older than the other station buildings. The side extensions are interesting.
  • The Smithy is understood to be in fair condition.
The Coach house and Stables is a single storied bluestone building. Symmetrical in elevation, the structure has gables at each end and at the centre, finial capped buttresses facing the central gable. Arched doorways, circular vents and gable cappings characterise the design.
  • The Coach house and Stables are in a vernacular Gothic Revival style. The buttresses are particularly unusual and the detailing as a whole is distinctive.
  • Coach house and Stables are believed to be largely intact and in good condition
  • Smithy Classified 05/10/1967
  • Coachhouse and Stables Classified 05/10/1967

  1. ^ http://www.artionado.com/AustralianColonialArt/Australian%20Late%20Colonial%20von%20Guerard2.html