Purrumbete Homestead, Camperdown

Heritage Listed Federation Arts and Crafts Style
3551 Princes Highway, CAMPERDOWN, VIC, 3260

[Previous page: Picturesque Queen Anne ...Next page: Clifton Gardens NSW]
"Purrumbete" (circa 1842)
420 Acres - 170 ha (approx) With 2 km of Freshwater Lake Purrumbete frontage.
  • "Purrumbete" provides unparalleled grandeur in every respect. Introduced by its long 1.5 km treelined driveway leading to the beautiful majestic English gardens comprising some 5 Acres with a variety of species including Oaks, Elms, Ash and Poplar trees."Purrumbete" sits prominently overlooking the vast expanses of Lake Purrumbete enjoying a superb Rural vista.
"Purrumbete" is a property of note featuring a grand entrance known as the "Great Hall" where history is revisited with Robert Prenzel wood carving and six Walter Withers murals depicting the settlement of "Purrumbete".
external image purrumbete_0005_image6.jpg.jpg
external image purrumbete_0008_image9.jpg.jpg
"Purrumbete" comprising some 130 SQ in the lower level, offers 10 bedrooms of individual character,14 OFP's, magnificent formal dining room overlooking the extensive gardens and numerous informal rooms offering all the graces of a past era yet still allowing ease and comfort for the present day.
"Features include.
  • 3 roomed cellar (housing for 1000 bottles)
  • 2 separate renovated cottages
  • Bluestone shearers accommodation
  • Coach House and Blacksmiths shop
  • 19 paddocks - ideally suited to cattle/grazing pursuits
  • Abundant water via 96 Megalitre Irrigation Licence (3 phase power)
"Purrumbete" offers so much more once inspected and is perfectly located 75 minutes Geelong, 2.5 hours Melbourne and only 8km from the Historic Camperdown Township."

In the News:
Purrumbete, with its Walter Withers farming murals, sold in Victoria's Western Districts
By Jonathan Chancellor, Thursday, 14 February 2013external image Purrumbete%2520Garden.jpg
"The sale comes nine months after being relisted with a $6 million asking price, which was then revised to $5.5 million. Andrew Rice at Charles Stewart Geelong has advised the sale, with undisclosed sales price, on the agency website.
external image purrumbete%2520homestead%2520medium.jpg
  • Andrew Rice, the agency director of rural property sales, advised Property Observer its sold to an undisclosed Geelong district family.

  • The estate on 170 hectares, some 75 minutes from Geelong, initially hit the market in late 2010. It was listed by B&B operators Max and Ann Magilton, who've occasionally quipped that they bought six paintings with a house and farm attached. They paid $2 million in 2000.
external image Purrumbete%2520Great%2520Hall%25202.jpg
external image 3551-Princes-Highway-Camperdown-VIC-3260-Real-Estate-photo-3-large-3933547.jpg
  • Set on Lake Purrumbete, the house comes with a 1902 great hall lined with six Walter Withers murals telling how the Manifold family settled the area in the 1830s."
external image Purrumbete%2520Mural.jpg
Purrumbete homestead is of architectural significance as an outstanding example of Arts and Crafts architecture in Victoria and as a highly important example of the work of architect, Guyon Purchas.
external image 3551-Princes-Highway-Camperdown-VIC-3260-Real-Estate-photo-7-large-3933547.jpg

  • The interiors, in particular the main hall, drawing room and dining room, display highly developed, and highly significant, Art Nouveau interior design. The unique integration of six original paintings by Walter Withers, recording the development of Purrumbete, is also highly significant as is the intricate timber work produced by Murray and Crow.
external image Purrumbete%2520Great%2520Hall%25201.jpg
A house was originally constructed on the site of the present homestead in 1842, and in 1857-1860 a large bluestone addition was built, part of which remains as the south east wing of the homestead.
external image Purrumbete%2520aerial.jpg
  • Major additions were made to this house in 1882 to designs by Western District architect, Alexander Hamilton. The resulting single storey Italianate bluestone house with iron hipped roof, doubled the size of the homestead and included bay windows and an encircling verandah with elaborate ironwork.
    external image Purrumbete%2520Verandah.jpg
    A cellar was added under the entrance, drawing room and morning room and in 1884 a conservatory was constructed at the western end of the house.
    external image 3551-Princes-Highway-Camperdown-VIC-3260-Real-Estate-photo-5-large-3933547.jpg
  • In 1901 architect Guyon Purchas was commissioned by W. T. Manifold to again enlarge and modify the house, resulting in a highly unusual Federation Arts and Crafts style building. The most significant changes were made to the rooms along the front wing with the addition of a first floor, the inclusion of a substantial central hall with minstrel's gallery, and the modification of the drawing room.
    external image Purrumbete%2520Ballroom.jpg
  • Externally the resulting homestead is Arts and Crafts in character, with remnants of the earlier phases evident.

    external image 3551-Princes-Highway-Camperdown-VIC-3260-Real-Estate-photo-10-large-3933547.jpg
    The textured bluestone and red brick building is highly asymmetrical in composition with dominant multi-gabled roofs containing dormer windows, and encircling verandahs.
    external image 3551-Princes-Highway-Camperdown-VIC-3260-Real-Estate-photo-2-large-3933547.jpg
Detailing includes terracotta shingles in gable ends and bulbous terracotta verandah columns, exaggerated timber brackets and dressed bluestone quoining and architraves. Decorative Art Nouveau lamps remain at the porch steps.
external image Purrumbete%2520Drawing%2520room.jpg
  • Internally the main spaces are Arts and Crafts in character with Art Nouveau detailing. Extensive timber work, such as panelled walls and ceilings, frieze bands, sliding doors, screens, newell posts, fire surrounds, overmantles and inglenook seats, and metal work incorporate sinuous details.
    external image Purrumbete%2520Bedroom.jpg
  • The timber fittings were crafted by Melbourne joiners, Murray and Crow, between 1902 and 1904 and, together with the metal work, were probably designed by Guyon Purchas. Manifold commissioned the leading Heidelberg School artist, Walter Withers, to execute six paintings depicting the early settlement and development of the family at Purrumbete, to line the main hall of the homestead.
    external image Purrumbete%2520Dining%2520room.jpg
  • By the early 1930s many of the rich coloured wallpapers and glazed fire surround tiles had been painted and the copper fire hood of the main hall had been replaced. The servants' quarters, to the south west of the main wing, were demolished in the 1940s and the conservatory was removed in the late 1950s, although the base remains.
external image 3551-Princes-Highway-Camperdown-VIC-3260-Real-Estate-photo-8-large-3933547.jpg
Purrumbete, Weerite was settled by brothers Thomas, John and Peter Manifold in 1839 and the family subsequently became one of Victoria's largest landholders. The Purrumbete property developed into a highly prosperous and substantial farming complex during the latter half of the nineteenth century and the homestead grew from a core built in 1857-60, which was extended in 1882 and extensively altered in 1901. Successive generations of the Manifold family lived there until 1983.
external image Purrumbete%2520Gates.jpg
  • John and Peter Manifold arrived in Tasmania from England in 1831 and first sighted the land on Lake Purrumbete in 1836. Together with Thomas, they laid claim to 100,000 acres around Lake Purrumbete in 1839, and John and Peter remained as squatters on this land until the mid-1850s when their land was converted to freehold. John died in 1877, and after Peter died in 1885 the property was divided between John's sons. The eldest, William Thomson Manifold, acquired the portion containing the homestead on 10,809 acres. After the First World War, much of the Manifold family landholdings were sold for soldier settlement and by 1963 only 991 acres of the original estate remained.
external image Lake%2520Purrumbete.jpg
The Manifolds made ample use of the lake as a water resource. A water reticulation system, including a network of underground cast iron water pipes, three tunnels, three above ground bluestone water tanks, steps to the lake and an early drain, remains from the 1870s and 1880s.
  • Alexander Hamilton was largely responsible for the development and supervision of this work. A remnant turntable from the late nineteenth century rail system, used to run wood carts to the rear of the main house, also remains.
  • Some of the design elements of the homestead garden have been retained from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, including the driveway, garden layout and the base of the former conservatory.
    external image 3551-Princes-Highway-Camperdown-VIC-3260-Real-Estate-photo-6-large-3933547.jpg
  • A collection of plants and trees, representative of the periods of development, remain, as does ornamental planting in the wider landscape, in particular the areas known as the Wood and Picnic Point on Lake Purrumbete.
    external image Purrumbete%2520Front.jpg
  • A glass house, with original water reticulation system, situated to the west of the main house and probably dating from the early 20th century, also remains.

References: