The Heritage of Tasmania: South-Eastern Region


[Previous Post: National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 16 - East Coast ... Next Post: City Bank, Delungra NSW]
(A work in progress)

Previous Tasmanian Heritage Post: National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 16 - East Coast
This post is derived from "The Heritage of Tasmania; The Illustrated Register of the National Estate" (Macmillan, Melbourne 1983)

The Tasmanian National Trust Heritage list has been 'rescinded' by the State Government, so on these pages I have started to reconstruct it.
  1. Southern Region (previous pages 9 - 14)
  2. South-Eastern Region (previous, this and following pages)
    Freycinet Peninsula, Maria Island, Bicheno, Buckland, Coles Bay, Cranbrook, (on previous page)
    (this and next pages:) Earlham, Kelvedon, Little Swanport, Spring Beach, Swansea; Triabunna,
  3. Western Region
  4. North West Region
  5. North East Region


Spring Bay


Triabunna township from Rostrevor
Triabunna township from Rostrevor

Map of Spring Bay (Seafoods)
Map of Spring Bay (Seafoods)

In 1860 Spring Bay was declared a municipality. The local Council chambers were built in 1862.
Today known as Triabunna the area is "surprisingly ordinary": a town for fishermen and timber workers rather than a place full of interesting history, although the Spring Bay Hotel, a rather modern building, does claim on its from that it is circa 1838.

The Heritage of Spring Bay


Source 1: The Country Towns and Villages of Tasmania, National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) 1976
  1. Muirlands - Log Hut and Blacksmith's Shop, Registered 1976 (See listing [LS9] under Little Swanport)
  2. Ravensdale - House and Buildings, Classified 1976 (See listing [LS10] under Little Swanport)
  3. Rostrevor - Stables, Classified 1976
  4. St Mary's Church Triabunna, Registered 1976 (See listing under Triabunna)
  5. Woodstock - House and Stables, Triabunna, Registered 1976 (See listing under Triabunna)
  6. Old Bake House and Stables, Triabunna, Registered 1976 (See listing under Triabunna)
  7. Cusick's Cottage and Stables, Henry Street Triabunna, Registered 1976 (See listing under Triabunna)
  8. Blake's Cottage, Henry Street, Registered 1976
  9. Alma House, Alma Road (1849) Registered 1976
  10. Old Post Office, Orford, Registered 1976 (See listing [O2] under Orford)
  11. Malunnah - Mrs. Meredith's House (1867), Registered 1976 (See listing [O4] under Orford)
  12. Harpies (Observatory, ex Maria Island) Registered 1976
  13. Rheban - Stables, stone trough, mill stones, Registered 1976 (See listing [O8] under Orford)
  14. Earlham, Registered 1976 (See listing [S1] under Rheban)
  15. Woolpress (originally Topsail Hall, 1858), Classified 1976

Source 2: The Heritage of Tasmania, the Illustrated Register of the National Estate, Macmillan, 1983

Source 3: Glamorgan Spring Bay Municipality - Spring Bay is no longer a locality name.

Index of Heritage Listings in Spring Bay


  1. SB1. Rostrevor & Stables
  2. SB2. Blake's Cottage, Henry Street
  3. SB3. Alma House, Alma Road (1849)
  4. SB4. Harpies (Observatory, ex Maria Island)
  5. Woolpress (originally Topsail Hall, 1858)


SB1. Rostrevor Farm & Stables, 8731 Tasman Highway Triabunna TAS



Established in early 1830's Rostrevor Estate has had a long history with the nearby town of Triabunna. At one stage the Estate was owned by Captain Michael Vicary of Her Majesty's 63rd Regiment.
  • Capt. Vicary died in 1867 and is buried in the Family Homestead Graveyard at Rostrevor, as are other family members.
  • From 1903 until 1973 fruit growing on Rostrevor was an important industry. This used to be the largest apple and pear orchard in the southern hemisphere.
  • The packing sheds, buildings, stables and fresh natural pasture are largely as they were left at the end of the apple and pear orchard era.
  • The orchard was owned by Henry Jones and Co and in its heyday was one of the largest in the southern hemisphere.
  • By 1971 only 50 acres of trees remained. At one time there were 16 houses on Rostrevor which were occupied rent free by permanent workers.
Rostrevor Farm, Triabunna, Spring Bay TAS
Rostrevor Farm, Triabunna, Spring Bay TAS

After 1973 when all the fruit trees were removed, the property returned to prime grazing and wool growing, with as many as 7000 head of sheep.
  • Rostrevor still has its historical outlook with old stone stables, machinery and cool rooms dating back to the orchard days.

  • It also has the historic 1,100 megalitre Rostrevor Lagoon that was originally constructed in 1914.

  • Today and for three generations they have a vibrant mainly wool growing farm with famous merino breed of sheep.

  • More than just a sheep farm the property encompasses many of the earliest European settlement history of the area including spring, quarry, the original Okehampton settlement, pristine beaches, pastures and more.
'Rostrevor' today has retained all of the main features from when it was a large production orchard.
external image thumbnail.pl?rp03715external image 0mVbGDxNsGuFxIPAg_iYnV0PKbbXU3qtRCsvDdTnF6Erq7FTjnvXH9Ad0LeawkJlF2SE4m-f_9uQi4YQuGiRoKEzIxIDWD8OCCyFjEJFTwT1SU1uuYgG5NCBlU4fGz0FhPEEGO_JJ3Fcrr8f4KRXVj_teptiNAV3t8wo6kuBf-m1Qrzemn2I5WpsIo_-Ghzer0cUoQ8cLJfLCvnNotskZ9r8OqT8uHts5-VPUlScn6MgAZSBY3Igw80_rwWI4isUwT70Dq9soJtkjxxAJEcQDN0ExIN5QDvdQp9StPvIJaNfpQlxJqyGyFmkfD0i1_ti5Ep61Dc8U3C8y1SekAIeZ3x-fUEn9f0GxtQP0Uuryax_9ZiRhKLahxJNisIkg2Am-fMZuVbOi8znm_jyVFr57Hl2UHH_Dq5bASEuPBbiWrS6m17y_tVB-DxE7PSDcofw5vK6dZAVU2m2fAGI5_8PH6DpgnDK32cYfRF2RvAWGsQb5BYHJRTAWe4g9BwTfu95SMEZ0fumooIXe8xIDuSEG4V_nVLw52xkh4ICMgnzBHGxunkH311Dahhi7Lh3aVZM_1bjq1xMkfbzorOuWD-jpn4Q4q5-1-5TUQlk08mg-Zv5uil3Gg=w140-h107-noexternal image 4H_PLQc6ACnJzbXUKIqhNdHR51pIPjpf8HzTZdSLQkUZszj0GRoR9I6H5-KI8FaWhxGPc7MaWFNJg645hZXtWK7aIZaTCmXn_bXuexbC5ZT_oUo1okdq6BurGipqbfsnY2RtzRICx2rAIs3pqLLM4Tez2BCikejNECHM3-dVddckqulfsuNTT-XS3IlNTlHV5l0nx3ZEQQLylF70EJyDDsnC4GsXilOxsdjGM_CKtry7JhAzkV-ACG3m40ikAGVv1Ij4xsMatPo7XKNlhUBh80_cjBr4IMAjpUkOCL1z5-aoP1un3yB5YTXPfw-Vy1lpz1FyFBSKLfhhgW7YENHC0pwgAyMWael5cAhrS8VeP5Jhky8UCRrXx7iCfSQMpcrueIfczYISGGpj4wtn_nQMQjJlj5XI-wjTCuILHoaHcmHw7UV_rkhKqJA-utdGwzAp_tiOQPol_JbjgLfPe2oGhd4MaHbfA5dDtmcxEYzbGa-dhGDbHst0cZsmIVtr1743_fQeg-KSI2lcLQku2jvIkfIY4s3KGLnN8amiWyQIQR4lAslOxzBvmSdo_9zxgkXmv9tw0M0ZEYaV0DD1XtrWg-LjqrPTeIvpAoPKHLbe9X1aNhaZfA=w140-h93-noexternal image eZXtoPV0ttX1R59nPsJLnQRaAjV0_zakc5JKS3ihAoQ5B9XbVZ8t3Za8OKZmrRY4HQPgRSHSPw0gWidW9ooOEqmfASJIFFIzbIVeqJkYp80cCXLuQ30NhyEGgd0QUidPTUMmwzjVCFo_8lQln6AykAHZxSNa1zTHmjWBdJAWd6_Xa22y_Cl0GKt3otcNv8fA9QsuNbL4VeTsBbbjuUu-JWBP9SCzv3DSIjZvo12025GRpusupiElty7zQh6FOuJUrQ6qaHtD_LVvMdL9L8nsN7EH8823_uIve93d3na5TzFCgvu1zrtEI5ogn-vKpB8B0u51PvwuKLc3HI4zXEwGIzgEoqNSftONTMazPG0nafF8p-npRc-4o4wJZBGdXeIqxZatUr5tJmbXdAAviQOen4tzY7T4FV4IAVbtjq-cc2rOCbHaqFmLZuL8kf3g2yPzsOTaVa8zK9NfVxjPWb1e9NZ1ID3saxnAlogckG2pR9ozOH5bLWU8B4zdUzAtYnOzAVCbC3KzjKY0WZy6tg8vkZBS9sbtRWXvZiormzlagfcLfWLj5PDLzu4Py-DXMuvtUonhghuJq0x-jkqmBHfP6sivYQVeplBJEMKrx_3V-BmQKysx0Q=w140-h93-noexternal image RclMWUoB2ieBQrHHj4DmmaPteRLcYLKCigRPeVrEBcUJvHt_HGunexy3Ws9I1gc_hrkvO_FiwmRn21ISE-zxsgv04hBJbSiH8LsRTl0RuccNO_1yYRxDxhx3KrZFGxm6BrLefP_5kbWHHb7znKKQEPt2Ag4u9gBXTYpURH1AZ1gna4H_dejE0Mm03JyiLQ8bDmgEINdSnyt20fpRnZR22xKytVYJBPChib7Lzur4ZwYYw48rMhQdPLtmRpFyFN8hj1MMXT6kFxlacp_O_nQaAKL37oPDdF-n05HJVgd3C39GZUNh_Xx7hVJOy2bHwBcTqdUKfEAmNLPn_QIkEJLZoNyl_qCR2xVgGorEF4iCxL5NCmOQTvl-p79LbTYLQBLsfPJyRffQ1NfSfGl_g0O_aSzUEaYVhgaOCwwrWApjZiZcCzO5UKzkcLE_1DAYZanyh1SNSc-Wo_i_xxRtJHKafs7MF4hXc8EHv5skZVtsoBVNvs-dS7yjLH45C1qtCTl03yEF9DpCXhK9cOCd3Vx8gVU3yhvp5r7pc2zsiOgtqP-cvsy1V88OtaegKMXmjX-_nbk023kOQmZh959YkM7UfSSfmfrliZVrPH7NYZ3_eyrTAupMxQ=w140-h93-no
It has different generation packing sheds, different generation cool stores,
  • the original still with its cooling plant,
  • a 'timber shed', stables, tanks, and remains of irrigation systems,
  • as well as the earlier 19th century farm features such as early workers houses, other farm sheds and a shearing shed, all in relatively good condition.
external image syrpHa4mYvUql7itelqctNRM59JiwvxDr_9xaJzarapq0afdGm3oG3T5n_LzxI_mKBlO5iCVj7b2OmSFNzWYPwtqDLQZCBM-cBtdJhjV885iodaSyde6KWziXFu-8nluSqbaTBuFfm4uq14dbbVQs5uSiQC42X3DrVfGLoCYZz-18UA2qkwBZiKkSSi4_6YmUC7X_C84hE63wn-ALOzki3l9LKiwY3fbwHXbZECSHHK9wRmezL5CPrTYrbJaOY-mSOzaF7SZO4_nbDVyQlBVpOxpo09WQrejoEp8TtLH3hoZml70F152H_RLacFqJ5_IJAVrrTW96yKy7qDq9Ai1uTsQi5qpOMbt7XpMAixz7JX9WjZEuRTznqGWtnSf1WD_YFWc0h_jfW6_YKNaAuLrdsduzD939agEaBp8NFezNmGqgbkVpnJRQ8AQ8Bz3ZRwf4MWI_2j0U6-z44T5zrLZ9Ncyz5aiBgKNeXFrnuWvpn4bwhnh_WxNazhlYeB2tFdWRuMw00AvCKAnzlnkZhz8zvRJYukY_9_GyLK0bn-mY5FV7Vb-Q8DdhB6wTNYeqCSobIlyN83MuZLO6VWZlc7A9moKrrtrWL5XjxXzEpu-79jurU-Z1w=w140-h93-noexternal image Pth6emuzhflsBaeMn7-_lRHwLlRBvdwd5pMjPm0vtv4_dUEt98V-c-lYHyqrHbHjhGEidyltYFP9041fBFqLJnij5MUOtLlB_ZMFad3Qvf5TgqrFXV2SXhq0OfZBF7QzvFbq6gg1ujfprnXpcOp1HXs0BOUqj9VH_Ma-23dBzbaP9J0rRLfMmZTuDnkS7CINkQQbqLuIMgZZes4P2iie1bnDquwK4RZ85xr40Qt-o03dw1PtHTwP1Co8vvdtQFV0es2z4PtqN6jY4Nvk_Yyc7R_c-EmCY5SKhC8iT-BHyCO0zxfPURKbH1_Ib_OcqicYfLnB-RbuxmYupdHFkD2FlU5hSK8n4l-RcUPf0iLbUJKKpID8g_VuTJquuHOuVD2X2ZViCe0VsLksCNSMQK6aV-Cs7UWk5D8fJowvp3PujeDTwAndDUkdN7_foaUohaZaB0WRCyc4758zYedegLvqzJNAfSe7HP2MBYeib_5AatceDSQldMxZr2eHU9Rp8AET5ow33FCWNm1jEF8MaDT02pW_znF1dpcS-0Gh3SdFvnPjrMiDFyhKO_xzUBGbtac1NsGRIs3PrL1Jn1kfyvDa8gf_ZE9Uq6vnhHcRE6EXHYiKkx2t-g=w140-h93-noexternal image HVEupv31Z8LLZypdAfN-6HrMp-ueZVKWlZIptO9sQsrf450tvWNtMr1fJFuT5o2gXgvh8snOeyBKe_oKk7wk_a6ldIrTrVzk8IAFA55TxoScqQGBDxZqmogb6qmvjir__Mgt1_jIcxheZNQBpgJ8YkRug-gdTH-h6zHNd2S6zPc8Q-VqgGlvzurhe9rn9QTYg6tt6N1kDG76beGkjDZgKKY3lIFABAO9EMjiNV5exvWXChOTV7jSDRvEW5g0DW5c2hIZzUHpXWRUur7L-adzJi1cCwUd_ZC2FJCEhrkp5MmX48EsOTdFHy1WTNGFkd2184XRpWPWvQ-O3jhu30AIvTP2cX0eqP0uOcoroNppve06G9VEGsqjybDiHgZtpRS33r6DfTMKr1Qv5nDp9axEr-nEK69uHhoU2gXhC_a3kBuJtqcgLsY-3OjDvtTx1Yg9zVus7lT3oHtqube_6nXNdxiMSd4OSpwap3alpzGqS7Q66e_71JUyxbItRoDIBs1tpUOf3h4tGqt-Bv9UAwvPvbF3a9u41ug0gfzza2SnmDD6K_mxdQ6yGIKFJb_6WvoM51L8noEWXViYAVxn2y2VfDTX8QaXEmCclCdz-XIiXtgIeRPQlg=w140-h93-noexternal image D62bET7_UAWrhpihcB0NBa3aWZRVn4GBEbU1uM0LS2NDCnrdlClQX9fFWU_ILOq5054ME3ubGCpOxDRisRY2Mgans-5mZkUjCFIFVYmZFIFvhGqcacPyO2KbTrIu-6lZYJ0kJGy2WCrgZ4fYX5lY8NMDth3-95drLb84jxQc9RM1kSQkptQkbq4dz-JLhJqW1Wc6IQMhhqNzqo_O4XfoT1QL6_CB12kCZe_sFPnniMzJKcf0q0AKoAnpjieowehc-dSDNX5ubgp8K8aNZTqFmFmhkMNfoHyw8A_fvrGBcQy-bvzICSTQvPejj3jCBVnqXsMKvm6AwczV-CNDveCNauEkxsFJkT_kiyVHFPc79GkNkWX6tv9RDrv7Jq0i9dpxO1eMQoJI_MPBA8ZadPMHmLj4WluwZoZ6sMS6jGN9QUNl4I1cnGq8zO-MvQ_rO1sNllJAAG1kvZjDjidkecrI61Pd0j__HTUR7J93wX7K15iKGgDU23LSDRd5o1Pooo92kjHW2bWoRvLkHxwNZTdhsQFxaBMLgVooJLA-rlUwDQJaKFisTjJiO48vJH422s55ma9HbbXKJpRNM1zvQB1TRjJSorJ_IS167yUEfJvlSVXAT2KACg=w140-h105-noexternal image AhxUhFXXFRJuDVfFbDlLeG-zwc-UTYhjUEn8J9CknUXl-lXGa_9QNaQkHCivAJ__kAIV2-qmOEIfIfc_unUwIhyTQ7dTdYlr4Wlc4smx28HEC71bOvjZyCnmatpWsWIuDS2uoSmR-npJgIkqGGnbeftisaXfU8eBaGh5XBM9G5Wvs_bX6GYzicMWi7iP11Gp-iulRXxNHONFdQOb33FVxryUi9zWNZeXpoHWKuy43RYmY2nTweC7iBt984fFfZLcj6loR_ASgWUiLeIy_VGQ6qbqrw2FT8PR5f8jZ-51yUKGwPMQASSoUrRiIraAnh2P8WfqRTSseiZ94gk-Ks-qkVDgLuzZJuTO3M6U-cZjmBaVix8nQqGhYtrRSDyoaJ-qMpj8qfYUghxd6pfPlf_FNc0N9og_jmoEdy5eAcZcAAOIiGlBJEhrYmw-hleibhMr-8y4CPLiUR6tMrjZy3a3bNSuqJKcMc_gk6V8rNV_NJvUi0j6Yy3feQNEHSotSvn1aMOcG1h6h3ZFGEiVmgerZrgYvaP54TVmpcSbdsvtwfvQAO2085j2iEOrU_3FBCjBmrAEK9z6qLiV5RZqu5uF6Hc3WEzcwY0BMU-A9qMH-8yEvVvu7A=w140-h106-no
See more of these photographs at: Rostrevor Estate - an album on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterhut/sets/72157635966829504/
Established in early 1830's Rostrevor Estate has had a long history with the nearby town of Triabunna.
'Rostrevor' has excellent preservation of apple-related features (although no orchards survive); the antiquity of the property generally and many of the other farming features; and for its association in the orcharding period with Henry Jones, and to a lesser extent with other well known orchardists such as the Frankcombs of 'Clifton', Ranelagh;
external image JeUold7j6x18K44ytN6xjmfPA_HtsBBt1qYHJKXTZDQ6k6gTtC8otDrFPnRtAChXUyeB9HDMzW4aGmuWF5bR_vuu9m1QQXySOq1ozC98LIyBdTinWFw6c39qhn9O88msPMYpEYJait6zYKPZAYoY7rCrbSh0c1Gxkom87gGm4mp6tlIVgTu0bOhekhw5wc_kDmCeXb6-7pFaYAi2LybYocHCSnCqGaM_7VfZ1jLubehsICWQq_FIQQvHyFJSGIR8G7bULxkqguCLzwSAB04m5BxFKPVwSvA3F8a-v3kJSzjbcoJgI9Tbh34LsYxwmR-mcKBvKbiM9mOs9QqhoTHsxJEohhM7rWPlV9tF8ijCebrnaHi_WsLmomco_nXIbQat4un4jpA86UXpTl2Etwps9GEYg3JHDYy7T9W-rqeA_AepBk5-M-m1HTe0knGorg5nWxx6HqKxVG39iDOw1AVXwF21uhjZquEvEvAXPZnwSkWwcnxhCRBmVXUNl-P5GjILJL9ij1KE-Pmw5oXGUE6oZzxWaTxKuJmzy6zaJNktNJ8mMI4K6AMDzDWDzxHNU8Nw5mTT4ZHHbd9AhQ8doV_qi8WXJlq4SAoxLAirxVbGfM40Z2pepA=w140-h104-noexternal image 2YKqlokSz_RoM_KcPn0k3yHzX8s1HMFu48LiYCT_M752XtE_9dgCseaK_TVHgeQW5gEaY3H4hs2N50duEu7o9bHzbdbzD0TGov1sD_nurY_dp98pyI87VJtGenTKJfO-RmtPcyB2M6ZiWuOktME6jUaFNgjZ0bJGENNsxjCT1NPX4V3oJSb8p0IbrCIoHO9GTLn4F7jRRBybdDHSEgSLP23KmfJ_5Lzx5qjfgCM0-lPpUmtLqtZKutWhjhVjWBaib-3FWJTBYG6BtacQcxhGVT1Wj9_cJybBuc7DHjH1WpPZkh-PWNaDgZt6Of25Rwfb9rN_zFMMHI7gBVgqOh-9zZhUTFZ6gLZ9x6lYOwE-lDvGqqRs-GwCiS6HpbV4CZr5fMGMBlZzfrdczgJtIQT13ngZKfgI6JUF0ZxHJwbR7nXz5qcgfzR30GZNylHS1lQ2hoHZBiqM-5FvLE9bQofsJJqzsKvJwqNml6OxADCiZjKVLf4SZACMSiuyRjo7NMAJ4Ahb1i3lE8KbvMnHjPJlP848Odm34FgagEvLZcYz1UmfIlOhLiiUaL98wZqF8s78MxtZdsluNaqPFabpeH_--9Tlyqa3XfTxk2PiXF0cIpyCve39fQ=w140-h104-noexternal image 5Sfr3HtknJutUc7UwDxELJGsyV77aixRHovHYTIM72RL0aS-GrXTuwtIiCTJOpDJkOo6jExb2L_PBAEu3xdBN9rlNqd1yU1pdhmmabcA4g8biy8F2dhGC9Kb3InH32P3eP-bZ3PFMcCA0l-MrOUI0xQcMwJVLyOpOECGZ6Mo89CY02CGtj91Ek_oU7vNojluTYs0dAciDtvQpkVw4sSE0kYHM5sl7vIgloswJwA-xyEqG6iN1-ZJftG2op7YSMKvJ2x6A1cROhdqoPxsadZeWgRZvCpbUOx2R91GofCYhuIiNRzHnVmWDFWbqJkgoIKGFaOv0I72Xq1Vd7XOhQwzrOAXC0SSyynhX-EwFa-7xCBEMz8G9QrbG9BlbyCLOrcKZSeVDzVg7GwICl0isLEQwY1RD8XJeBfnde5PgI2yXG9HjaUJyOWJQhzrafu_2c5g8fG4aP9dbz-_h3qP__qmpAmiomVP_ck3FbV5WniG5iawv1axbWjsaIxRxnthax0p3xnZ9HNOfgiuGsDtibYPkV3r4TyQ8d7-AZ_QW99uO2zs1kHNSHOqqPrSQuh2-_IbGylApg9fFmYYNjxoQY2uoeATlMcG8ncPTQ4Dz4PvxKMXHHSKEA=w140-h105-noexternal image Hjnm6GAsOHOQjdY89oOs-TtKm5RQ9DiHHxiWpKPOXdn8f-hsODlV44X6Okk_AJ5hvA535UFB7gSLtqtGHATUWQDgqbI9OWpPeJmm6iZnpFPD0hQ4KQ5dSXFnGH72UwKM4I42DNa96Xk4n6GxcLAoQ5aEx23afX-IFro84RVado8VTBcZVwAtCNSS0qeiTBNSDQIBX5Er3jLwMSTM1h0mWxg-PLltjba_16zSoNu1X_ddCA9e9K1m71s0MT0xLjmlYlaYuMkGYq9qJO_MRT1baeMNk5VAJgXD_nGOg9guaA2Ob37T2eWCWuLKalo7ZNSBiJbPYvbKhu3YbqbjmBPgY3X_1hUJxrcifYtwTg7yaWtZkgkFAxmGYLSI4PliGbL2elzG4YdqAetmc5GB4HOdX9WWhXWODpd68Z3MjgeLDY18rECQfhHpEuHI2zd89VtRmetMi7-S63H2DgYTtDdXTW3ARxDFh9HnAIaQIl4lDb1JUJTNTTLVS15WNxZNEH3Vh314mD5qFRV5lBNhIpbdtUy2myeDe62Gnb-h4tinSjPhfU5LJZCvVNwvsofdPIVl5N7mAz3R4PwP82wCWKwGs64Yf8W6b-RSAJ9PH8BzVTZQtpk1kA=w140-h186-noexternal image PnDLR4PIKfYSQN8QQoPHHd4-pzvr5ZGL0ngOQTc0Hv8eRO1Z3X0tOojzJ7vl9K3IEkkxZspiqr_ux_E3E9aDHCmCIQIPdmBrxQDnSjR4DgpcTDqUbrlKUTHWdZugdXB70YqcYfJIo4haBAKgt3h18k6y5Vee3mzODWqGMmyz0b5AyV2rn53pRYcqHB9wZ2aH8zNoRBip509_Mzx4W-3SOL0LsC9LNFxKP92N3glBhBUA50e3U-8jfpHtRTE3rdc7U7-JGNn-MfnTdY8Jy9aekBb24Xm5WKv-Ak8ShHE26GzFHWDIoa-oRD_X-StwoF4TTC3rqXper5fI-cJll8cB9UGXBNXlAoIz88dIj9pabMZAySccjsIdDWbCLcOK_0MWL6EatzogQhQRKcQHy6zs6xS9cdndICqpEKbAv_UieFD8G8VV1Z2Gyz2c0gRk2zAFvcRJmlkZKUpLb4WyYulhx3Vb101Aw481ii6LZvO6oO-vnCjs-w_vRm9zxMgx84jvPyPWMEXO5bOV87qUeXB99AIFQ55e-ZeTltmrCnIDKEQKlFF6D9hPQRnz-NAWfVQkWLmTTC9gACQiY15PAVUK9spNPG8WFopmgwpKL5zTcFCi0E8SAQ=w140-h105-noexternal image _IbZ-8flu3CZt7HrOwYzb9JXJMhKkGTFym1ZnMS29NaUGo12C___VorEXWEzstBX-KS_dnVzblxZc7PfJsjIF2F2i8ZNLn7XE2VVePF39Euzv_ftni02dYtkwPA0hdpnVQKRLGTQdBfntj_AmdO21E9MUMb3pHEIFNhOmr2WCCFB-55hP0W1gt8RboNqCTOve7eiQstOFIQVLInI9SSbBmOzB_1hd8sb7q35np9aioBwcDDupGo_DVWxwMCCVHp365iQRKfMtubA_vJnxTnqDgOyja9SPbtCmn0zFgAvGGh4BNk509lutX-Ns5NKulkMpzkkPa0ceSF8iERRiOMkAYeLqRyt2_yTXrrMJqnvQYj9tvk2ZgZmrBe7WR3KbgdGDLKG_rrQbGa_Bck_9fDad2MVLEfCkYlfzgFWGAmsB3DdhaAMq2a9-IbOCqn7fVb2AoiopuhGxVwCAss_We81VXSd6OR9WJgsscBBx-dDWs3_2BQ9DiZp-44N62kxzDoWABbdu0Ydsc9wjdlL38-dTqxzLKlbL220JdTY9B7IQUQsT5P-Qb2H-wlNBxdbCquSFfH6JEKGxzKo_HVRgdrStfYwv5v86NOEHv8BqccByuz5ExGbXg=w140-h105-noexternal image eW12esQ1bwJ94HBc03p_khhU3jHZlZUPVsKb3A2O3m4-pPb4u-hhNdc7rAH7jlSCPJWur8u_lYLy4tA5yR0oXSFOLdQrF0LBoKaU0XWzepuTtVwJ-U_gNA1KW8_QOT1fM40oKrdZCVXCrQAROsZHrjS-8S8gNA8SDLYK-Vt0QrWzLo2QdfyG7z_yzJeIMCinpACHXqQ6VFTx7HsOsfrknICldeCcqGDb_jfG0JEYfL_IozjNiLZ7NhN6GHfbXHOsFxH2AynSej_72iIYaeKGpsr-3T-XVMIXII2f1GPggifU-p8hCFaflPz9JpV-7Rn4MTWAT2bXymuvYvzRT49FR_DJezIjsd2wuWRh1QLU2oggdhwf0OiDJXjEX8BEKCmfcJ2VULVcTHUI18fkVx4OxTTCWqyVELEvLk93-jqXNM5WsYtCc5u63f1h15F2RYIeUjzoU8b-FzkXiyS6lG9vkg2IIRMKwtr_Og_4cTdJZvPIldAZwLB1MlDTn6llMhiyzNlUCkM6M8TSK_-sLzDz-SsjnS62TEbiA5ghjt2vcWmznXVcpl5imBNpbcEHXX-Seglo0_okGwNPZHbRa10eZ0BIkSxh5WH6BrI0lfQPQGD4zxzj9g=w140-h104-noexternal image WEL9o14c2IDPulM6vDFofHCmSsrS_cXy_A-ubZqQ9oknspQuLNJpi8N0zX6vD8lC8qV70n0QdjikUrgUlbxVV_rCWnOevXUJvJcPn-D8qQTfH7gXu3037T4fvFY0cqHxuzIF2MYWnHyM0XF9QF6QX9H5SZA8wfvFNqgiLu22jbnHiMiTrTWuHr34mXQ-SdJ_Y6PfAOtro_eVZdJsHrFy1TQhzmsKW_4657bI7DZcOwDzQhq60SJviCZn5wrGUkhum7esuVXSBB0BghY72piY1J21GWgDqXNNLjp8zRTv9tBO97MBz9zzxFp9SxQ9qJ4nbUE8Tkrb4GInFwO9P8WT7TEqZYdYf_dYc6caJr5LJ-wef5mfdXVEE1b1HG58JqAnmvrFzHdXISsyi-Ci8TtlzP1hP5DUKLCj2HptrEhM0BzwXXtoRuEe73m1NLGuVfS5lZU2Di5suh5SXQFR1p388vdp9mea6O-k5qCXmeYvoQwH1aZm4xB27onMGAQeP46cmiag9AYZTAvSfM2j2dZMCqovdhuAOWMR0y-vNH3U8CPWTF3a9GGGmJO4yWlL6GFcidO-viMVL4u6JGHekOCU41svcWoq8CUEGnibEkttL6TUELfwWQ=w140-h105-no
'Rostrevor' was the only major commercial orchard in the Eastern region. It was established initially as a general farm property in the 1800s.
  • Purchased in 1903 by a partnership of Henry Jones, T. A. Frankcomb and E. A. Peacock in 1903, by the 1930s the property had become one of the largest orchards in Australia, and one of the largest in the southern hemisphere.
  • The property had 500 acres of land planted out to plum, pear and apple orchard.
  • Henry Jones, of Henry Jones & Co., was at the time controlling one ofthe two major jam factories in Hobart and had a major interest in overseas apple export.
  • The success of the venture was due in large part to the more suitable weather of Triabunna for pome fruit growing, innovations such as irrigation to cope with the dry periods, astute management, and the better transport facilities established by this century.

Rostrevor Triabunna, Tas 7190
Rostrevor Triabunna, Tas 7190
The famed Rostrevor Estate at Triabunna has an agricultural and social history as rich as any property in Tasmania.
  • In 1903 the property began a transformation from sheep, cattle and horses into what was to become the largest commercial orchard in Australia under the ownership of Henry Jones and Co.
    • Henry Jones' orchard, 'Rostrevor', was a large and unusual orchard for the east coast. 'Rostrevor' is known to have had a number of employees who lived on the property, and in its peak was the largest employer in the Spring Bay area.
    • It relied on horses to work in the orchard and transport the fruit to the jetty. Clydesdale horses were used to pull wagons of fresh fruit to the Triabunna jetty.
    • The cases were then loaded on to the SS Koomee/a, the SS Moonah, Loongana and the Terralinna, for transport to the Hobart wharves, and unloaded there, some going to the factory for canning or jam and the rest loaded onto overseas ships to Liverpool, Hamburg, Stockholm and Gothenburg (Norway).
  • Rostrevor Estate's value as a prime grazing and wool growing property was realized in 1973 when, along with 7,000 sheep and 400 cattle it changed hands to the current family ownership.
Rostrevor Cool store (right) and packing shed (left) built by H. Jones & Co
Rostrevor Cool store (right) and packing shed (left) built by H. Jones & Co

Rostrevor timber shed and barn (early to mid-1900s)
Rostrevor timber shed and barn (early to mid-1900s)

[Photographs by Anne McConnell, QVMAG Collection]

The property now boasts around 1,600 hectares of improved land and a perfect combination of modern agricultural conveniences in a scenic historical setting.
  • Old stone stables, machinery and hay shedding, super shed, huge packing and storage sheds, 2 cool rooms, and a 4 stand raised board shearing shed with under cover yards are all gathered in a central station area sheltered by massive Oak, Elm, and Ash trees.
  • There are also 7 houses on the property including the 22 year old main 4 bedroom homestead.
  • Two 12 hectare pivot sites are watered by both reuse water from the Triabunna township and from a 575 megalitre water right from the historic 1,100 megalitre Rostrevor Lagoon that was originally constructed in 1914.

From 1914, water was supplied to the 'Rostrevor' orchards from a large dam by way of a water race to the northern orchard and by pipes to the western and southern orchards. The water had to be pumped from the dam. Rostrevor Reservoir, when full, covers an area of around 35 hectares
  • Rostrevor dam was built on Henry Jones' big orcharding property in 1914 at a cost of 3 000 pounds and held 90 000 000 gallons of water for flood irrigation of the expanding orchards
    Access improved at Rostrevor Lagoon
    Access improved at Rostrevor Lagoon
  • Jack Paton an engineer, said the steam centrifugal pump at the dam came from the Beaconsfield gold mine and could pump 40 000-45 000 gallons per hour. It had a Babcock and Woolcock water tube boiler fired with wood, a compound engine with box cycling of 28 ins and a stroke of 4 ft. The 12 ft cast iron wheel weighed 12 tons and the intake pipe of 12 ins was often blocked by eels.
  • A contract was let to local woodcutters for the supply of the wood for the steam boiler.
  • On the hill above the dam, a device with an ann indicated when water had reached the open races [that] contoured around the hill.
    The water was directed through the orchard by Bill Sparkes, an expert on 'running' irrigation channels.
  • With a fast team of horses and a plough he made a furrow into which the water flowed behind him.
  • To remove the excess water the drains built in 1904 were slabbed at the sides with timber, covered with short decking and then with sufficient soil to enable the ground to be ploughed. Later, earthenware and iron pipes were used.
  • Whilst IFS staff were on site installing the Rostrevor lagoon access infrastructure they undertook some ‘market research’ and fished the lagoon late one afternoon and early the next morning. Brown trout to 1kg readily accepted wet flies and bibbed lures particularly around the weedbeds. The lagoon has also been stocked with rainbow trout.

Cattle, sheep and wool from the property have an enviable reputation in the market place, and the standard of fencing, the quality of the pastures, and the fertilizer history are second to none. All this in combination with the mild coastal climate and proximity to Triabunna and the Tasman Highway.

Rostrevor Stable


An intact example of stone Colonial stables noteworthy for its
Old Rostrevor Stables at Triabunna
Old Rostrevor Stables at Triabunna

unusual semi-eliptical arched openings with decorative keystones.
  • A single storey field stone stable building with a gabled roof and skillion at rear. It has arch topped window and door openings, with keystones and rough dressed surrounds and quoins.
  • Rostrevor Stables is of historic heritage significance because of its ability to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic out-building.

Description:


A symmetrical, single storey, rubble sandstone building with ashlar sandstone quoins and a corrugated iron gabled roof. There is a door at either end of the front elevation, and two windows between them. All the openings are round-arched, with ashlar sandstone quoinwork and prominent keystone. There is a loading door to the hayloft under the gable of the side elevation; this has sandstone lintel, sill and quoinwork. The rear elevation has an extension under the broken-back main roof.
  • ARCHITECTURAL STYLE:- Victorian Georgian


SB2. Blake's Cottage, 36 Henry Street, Triabunna TAS

  • Registered in 1976
  • Glamorgan Spring Bay Heritage #80; CT39233/1
  • Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1582

Blakes Cottage is of historic heritage significance because of its ability to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a single storey, ashlar sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building.

Description:

external image qLYS6rYNJ2nMAWlwRjQCT88-8ceXFebzF7CORLWakUEF3CCplrKUS-YxVUo7YMqt_DchwwnpLPI3gXt3NWvFUo-F1QNi-znbFqyPICC4J-h-vbVgE41tgUuhoBufJFvd9rO2GFApDLPIMZK9RfL123ktlr672taCC6_Zqssc1eVf41M9-UFQCjOuCh7tezV-0-G6WOkauCAtgPApPjD5_8X-F7bPuQF71Xh6rTT3zn8o-POZvfHYO2YPG54NX-vg8mhdCA6yuDgZUlzTw-sSivikwCTAJ8Dg3sCjBnqCbQMy9y8v3rdWekiFcJJrbmBCAaZbSewMyvnaDSNaVQ-7X-07iBexXoATEAN98KQ_JwivWq8Cy9MVKbcY_SuGQgP4Jd7sjPt_2wH3S6bKf0ZaplbT_qfdUy4wCTXpFymDJmn_yRfCJEDsjY7mA9Q5pqrRgN52Yzheu9uiBpVvvlw4sS-M0U8N0WcbRdsqbW_dpEEqkKBmij7ukjSkCOAEFGntL4XV3O4e-AOB6Cx3veneDByffBjXAhUBN3ZnIA2fJgca8gIjtfU9pA4crrbciJiCsOXjuXt8sRQI2HrFZRgxSlQqY6SiSa8NVEWXLg3cfm9effTZWw=w140-h96-noA symmetrical, single storey, ashlar sandstone building with a corrugated iron gabled roof, boxed eaves and simple chimneys. The four-panelled door is central to the front elevation and has a rectangular transom light.
There is one window to either side of the door, and a window to the attic in the side elevation.
The rear elevation has an extension under the broken-back main roof, with a window in the side.
All the windows are double-hung with 12 panes. There is a further, weatherboard extension to the rear.

ARCHITECTURAL STYLE:- Victorian Georgian

SB3. Alma House, Alma Road (1849)
  • Registered in 1976

SB4. Harpies (Observatory, ex Maria Island)

  • Registered in 1976

SB5. Woolpress (originally Topsail Hall, 1858)

  • Classified 1976


Swansea


external image 7eqxLsGR7D3ad2AZ2SUekmyPQ0dLTx4tf0PsrYstFm0T0hFHPAQQaCC-mTN5hSSOEH7HqauJIsseB8V580etU1k6-lIRKSTELmn0lusDz17VPcyzILfUS-Uhi-P9QkRRySKtlsc0ZG_Rji4KgQfBe5Bbo9oAb38RjTTBP3BDYP86E1RLqWoADI3xUjMQP0EEJYIHzIFoRNr5YcFsf6eBcOKmD_2wW5-7hTpDB4Qy_np_cufb8ypWFvT6H1Ije2RToV2Ne4J5BONcMKuROc8z_ZKaeJyM-q85LogcdXMDARqolXKp9p07UgazZi_WrpkDsVFyjNxXLa8a9eGEObXxvB_WgZAssIx1nWslHdqLfVmslILOV6ynH6EoyhEoFf0hX9I9TLbz6wkbThmTu0wY0ibtmiyI26Ht34Ouh9xFynMySyUn1tyzJIfTXyZMJdTD1Yu6_77tpL3N08M1Vid5ZCG1ueTypGi1UpMPZL8JjwbEH_xnGzycaDPIQs79F-sspfnuCm1Hx9uwJHeFp517UoBf3C3EP1AgUV7-YQalT3ni-frperRi1XTmecnzIip021Lp_Kym5rIt0qgVS1uv16-kQS8KA6cdm8yZEiDBgD1qtgrB_Q=w300-h224-no

Map of Swansea Australia
Map of Swansea Australia

Swansea is a town in Tasmania, Australia, 90 minutes north east of Hobart (134 kilometres/83 miles) and south east of Launceston (133 kilometres/82 miles).
  • Swansea is in the heart of Tasmania's east coast, on the north-west shore of Great Oyster Bay and overlooking Freycinet National Park.
  • It was the first municipality in Australia to be established after Hobart and Sydney. Wikipedia
Schouten House, Swansea
Schouten House, Swansea


Swansea has views to the mountains of the Freycinet Peninsula, historic cottages and access to safe swimming beaches. Swansea is the southern gateway to the Freycinet National Park and is surrounded by orchards, vineyards and sheep-grazing properties.


Swansea is a small township with a reported population of 771 people as per the 2011 ABS Census Data. The surrounding area of Swansea (including Dolphin Sands) has a population of 278.
Swansea’s population of 550 swells greatly during the summer tourist season due to its position on Great Oyster Bay.

In May 2007 Swansea beat more than 1,000 other towns around the nation and won the prestigious title of Australia’s Tidiest Town for 2007.

History

The first European to explore the Swansea area was Captain John Henry Cox sailing from England to Sydney.
He took his ship, the Mercury, up the eastern coast of Tasmania. On 3 July 1789, having heard of vast colonies of seals in the area, he sailed along the western shore of Maria Island and into a stretch of water he named Oyster Bay.[3]

Heritage of Swansea


Swansea Heritage Sites - Table 3
Swansea Heritage Sites - Table 3


This page is under construction and revision



S01. Bluff Cottage, 45 Shaw Street Swansea TAS

also known as Harbottles Cottage, formerly Caulfield Cottage

external image NFvqetyshbMDfLhzc8YbfvLI10EUF1ECWtBxiQLlj8la9fGjDmbJBjRiiMKVT4-LtZuF7227eLrYCns0akwmGxCXu9vTN6OSuMEFTGNli6vEsSHurukAWy26boyu3AMRRZ_8SadxhMFthSkhSaHFDjm9W2ZPfPUydg9nklfaWt7e_PWI29k7h6CjZt8Fmv3gVIGVRGfsx9GqaDsj887TjNElGD5Z_clbrtPwJd0vpMVz61HWct5bgUdxQWuftDMkOFEeey07JYteec4TFaSmsGfkcvYS6GL40dNsktSvPD0z-N8tLdE8VybY6UuCxvmxOObdb8xdfCJc-unSry55edc3vljQ8I4kx944K683Eep57-AQCbDCDaXZealbpmzwPEJ2Bd1-VDvrxXp3vKnnvtqTezZeuuZCU6l1Am-rgNCxwRDj9CHA2K9ByjcXEpIDrUqBJhqMsZ5afRSVsJ6T-wHnUopxNWs79DMtqeTYdrPWl25ehxAKRNI0QCg4heAyHF-FXjHrR44YgDwHCewnJ8KstpEk60Nsn02aEuYKya8My2EdFuWVvhnl9S4dXkrgnHif0TCKxzCdklMIAlzD-fCBAGtJA3d0fUk2YxIvKKfJHW8iiw=w140-h105-noexternal image Cdg1cRZV2Qs56vkfZM7VskejxyJdRrdS61B4zYCtHBwitOCR8dMiZWq1bQD4SXCpYzX5SuBqgA5NPyACPS12jKgq94CxLyMH1-OpUADEyR3rMoS6CeSQudE_lBbgnrOUIeX0wlfoc7B76sBKYHCTOcmx232-5B733x930kBTnTmX_pDBGiU7xE__qasaoQLs3Yqkg-RjAMxHlDrDtw-7xcIZZaqbybDi3lp4hW9D0RQy1snr5GpmqcmULY_Ki86hcyC3VT4ATJw2dQIoFvl_a4y-PFxI8MOc7zVVQR5ifvAiXmMRcaPmJv0opj_JMQGiCnEo6pIjR9-bedxUxdgTyIX2mjYXLnoCt6d_o1VmiVmXu62wsJUVso2xrRAT8uNjZcVY0kLWj4LNS1fZ3l5r8cnrEz1YHX7D86qWNdHoowWj70gzALKfcuQf4YM-PDuXph3dRFZzh52YveHwyTuKMDzUgLkTswgeyJYmIYhiF2NncD3cS0H-mHNKVcBPzQ-hq5KfziTOMQ0AIrDwsJSxiCH_AXsARmD5BqbNyLoOUZKesZc1W1BzTQcR0YmhWrK5IgOEMx6iEAy6_YotC4Z5YfZOoX7HjSsy0FSDsE9tWoy1KJdK2Q=w140-h93-noexternal image Y-PVcVcBSthws2m-q2EbpKTxwRlzn0jKet1lE1mSXSUhprqEfHM82Kdj4TwuJRbWKbCJZhHIG1lqrRn5oIjmye7qXQhFahH1lYLFKgRS2-QCA0hHGFVzhQ_T_E9uRcS6ArsYlu4FgA80vrEhpTnXuL1fkjvYAvMn6NAKrVs0oePXy8Bful6wRUHzIQwPDDM2qzv1HCk3YY60bOYZC7mtDtMPaMf7nkbFEKLuflD75pvDZRLstqs4FH5U7UPDglekukI6rx8HuRdAt58tp-nsByRD5G-0VS0SCb61h8U7lJNd2iINu_U9w_UB-GrmyHdUQkV0yHQpQvz4DIGhMvaHUUVmp-V2uYRA5OBFMudKIKGrWr6fxLy3AbdKVqMgLuEekqbjkaEs3n1Ol11xGXKBgW0iC-vlQ5snaZ9ii2MyZDB6JFKGF_krDVf2tmOPAGHBQmxbgOt8WcCgehhQMlnAPeIIDOuQAD0nSiR80BNwp6c8DcqNGurX5k6V09tdo2gB0nyqyUqgpDAkfig0_ZXf_ate7dU3b2bmUK9cpIbo4jk6RHzd7qLqGjoc8Yaxh2Ig_Xx-Q4c2Tk6fXB4YvAVQUMvvTqgENf8t7lAfW7qsmXBlh91GWQ=w140-h93-noexternal image APjZT53pp-vFSK6GbiMoTni-WjIEgecnMHw5lkae2NTrw76glU9kR4MdZcKY5J3xPS5MUnhIJjfgxwIRhNuLxZP1TUdZXdvHWkEDN9d_bA01BjCcWdBcik7UtKJaS7jqWSn4Fo9kyJDPwpFbUcMT38UruUQAXP50OWajzyIz9mPhsvSoNdPEdvPkUYwouFfxZTCVT-mFL_59xuamnrqGXzEGB46YFqbRMBCJam2H-0x3nnsFWg2sDBth0mHjHXqwt0KmZo4q8b2kusD382JJjNzENVcm_jHne15PO_gPt29clEt0BGv0KJIHDnb8wAvrxcVGh10bgObktPv2EamfMm7lbuQ93WVUq8b15v-uq7sRLUszlnaRtQ_djRKoyO6dPpt1pwZAHi-slJ_A16j6TKC3P-dU8LBNPe6mW5vv-9EY_egJlU5cO4IxwIMynIR2o5rwnJ991IIZMt_4aYz26g_Hub3ZnvSSVswSBsQgMVeHVqEAX0gAHTQGrtSke68Zm1SryXXanI1ddPuHXXWiYAoYB135CV167TBRIIXrG8tGKsHN4tg_LV-qON1-yZDLf03p9Zg8a3hnpA4B5qMvJlCl4JEzmJujXrbnHuPiHRVJFPdylw=w140-h93-noexternal image xxcsZTbd3a83hqajdmFugYoRvS2HA5mJCGCAMaS4ZDszzq7wBT1-OPWTUzQo36d_L6TFMGzzFroxMlxXvqb-CAcgHlA6kIEHsxiY-N95w_hNwM5t4hHL2OvkHLxHSv0-u5EEbiJ1OJQ6tNzh7eJg6T-YJVYKA_IbLMLsQQZsTDQIgC-fuSYiWqJLWfADl7zahe5hRELQq8vflFFzH-i9vX-TfEx0MY8LHzhLTQJA9MU1wdp0S8SN8yQqbrJwXm53ip1w3Lk2oxurvn5bPbt3LXHZolgMgJht2U-A-BlZ3PJjnJBb-A_5gewqZPUYbawSCN4btd7BA31Go8dyL4MrirPvguvydGwrIqSarX5zOrYsi-S_3_niT9FI3SOz4xetVkc6DB3VzByMROp0RI3jwtq9xYi9nX_gsLZQbIY57smuoZZ5tTCmKTpP55CzCIYDJQn_scDHuDTlgQXUT7JytWrHG-7m9SP3ROpvtC6RyFRaHhkgSfIw_9-nxaSpQgvsEie5F7L8NS5Z9C_17mbMnvyltnnDI0c3aEnTOIoFri8yA2PKM6OVpCQT3VVu6AlZjKqJnaJVePMpKMYMtMpzw3AHTaljflRE4LBcVIuCIN60uzxCDQ=w140-h93-noexternal image lf-aIf-s0CL5xMpC5CjTHdNMpPpORd1jw0JbfGx0Rk1BtdMn4dwqx8obDVl8iUseoLnnpCDX2vXoM4iOK9eozwc1cTfm8W4PKUMlaH5WChaD4v54jHIdejVSxKkRlQa_SPeT5jkvAMdfCma7uhlQV8nY5q5HrNrWp-oBSkterhpDqIA7VVupR3zuoeBu_sVT_YUdMSIzqKP_Xfh_xPC5Yh0xEoAvnqzMEU3DSQnZgw1lUbvvI8BQrUNEbjgnP1YvDZbpSQvJEOBdFQNr0LdAgiHC54YoSiNeDslFXJCql37oPkc8-5tp8nZVnJxGLOoafQK58cP8tUMnNv4DON6jDy2yhuUvZzZY_3n7f4JMiETc5u6V5ZQflNL_-R6DiAfrXxpF4fNp1VPkDqgK30wI9yAjxkvOe4p7I0i9clLOpS8wvOYwHXjUBDIo4Y_2HaMd0JB535oaLHhQwcLyvgUwUjiIREeUI59Fj7e2_EuOcEEasboUhU6BoyBnHvFeyVWLi-D2uz4z9VzlmvlBoZvma_kYG2JLOe6_p7YF5RJ5Sim2riMbDprrIXz6bvTQWBskRRyA2MpWeQsfaDXGEsB8g-6oRQJywEmbE5KcbUthM9gqduY6Lw=w140-h93-noexternal image v9AlrpkgFTb8bY3zZmv2Om--LjfnlPH-Yj6AgUbKUcwfF0vX0b_39zmp6Bo9nSzA7R_LgKcLeCrycCUhSf_qegVld2xuhfkVzXHSOD8sBeGFO5qalwj_-z6wkg31trSGkDYzydaDXfgEjmOeTma2JUqG_UdeWFC-U9OwJ5I9Duz400GnhOGDQiUZgFZerQRCsdlTkZ8021Hpl1xhD5736pMqfA7weoeLMVtXuPvcxm4yhlxZXDDo3IV7COXaesKVkUMpX4XCdHOrOsIy4aIBZdPc7Yg6fVapTlHUrqMCH1ywtOLHWeTzG75mc4lmF9GVCULVfXIlXtACGFBxmCkwUGbWw2Q-oQgcn7Ag8UCEc4jgnETC-8HbK7ZeX7WEFoFGfxlvqcxU1ToX7yX7jmUCHu8EuXLjcS4VmSzk31fKIEdjjPzdaAJ8ks45OThEEJaHlvLo6toqnEQVXoyvq7QW4Ral7RIOahruWiPsGVdJMvh-pqibNvdj5EMr7dhVUVfOlxuj472yIa7GCRBqruf4nI7d358Q20kkoMm_7UqoaXK6Eudj3dQD4YPginhgrC4er5BTAUiPvvEcWAbaOh4n7meIuuA8bGAkPoULON7zAnVuQ0TPKg=w140-h93-noexternal image J1yiEH_eSh_s5RC9UnkRIDe7CbLWxCFfqvrzcuPW26g1Xs27hkIXKeyKzOPNIlK3u6pnm9DoivsbfG3PHPNuTJK3-RJt0XcIIY4TvTkJJAPPrAjdTA_XGW9GvKB8UfaL9NziOA3s9JupOUZbwJrzleDHj1hwXM9XPT4h5IDNKheuR9PkUzux92KBo_It9WkCbCQEcorhtplKqB0tFscaFQ5BEAnF6mLLcJ9cS9INWYi4zasFHfN3cqw0nZivGHGh3_8hJ2spxZYXkQA2ZfbaJCCdP43SbR6mmiiFCgu2BRpMVT3WrCvBX9FewYMagfbku_c9xiEL59P_pnJV1NdDX6xcKPanxpg9s5B3dE3SH4UoOn54PLEkxSUrIdVIpe3ZImrKI7M-KpSVVj_eepjqgBJlmPFye3KKWGr5LbD1fr7QnNenXWeIyiUslXeF6v0VNqT8lJjmOD6xYg3nVqQM4EakFpRm3HnFnwwthXpdMbqC2NiWVQWKd_OfrukXEDWs80BXFfAunCqkAgPHj14PNCrB16_neTwDP3tHu7Qq9wLULfgR6u7irNPc5oTFaftzP4S1euHkqzKuKkb2zudjXSfARYLlOEwRxOD0O6CdbqLEaaq0ag=w140-h105-noexternal image SATd8tm74URGN_Iys_5_0it41giG_r6NWRg8tIs6HqwiLHUrPuFvViEZaVVhk5jR1evyEyvAeD8My6seAv5VpylFTvRXTwyoOl8zN820MEGAnxOvmaaoncw2DNu3A3LyOMVzv-WeSHmWOOAXXK6dbdhJ9m8Hfdji7SZZF-VViDuDsnxUzr6h_fVc7z91SeO_TP17N2ktX9jomsZh7d8OMTNkqGTNqaRb_SzAh3OUih4_Jqx0eIJI6VcGSXdJUNAXmmIZpR4_YSGjyXwl9Ug0eIbB-GMCUxiE871bY1HAn1oc2W4rW9SdaLdrIicJmON-g1S1s6rXVpUWaczX_cK4m92npXbDvXTAVWX3Z3wv4BsUEweMs6Fi5Bh4bQAmUlOS31QyUE7pgudowXf_RlF01KY3_Jm2P3QS8RtmeOAuSc2xBjOunsb9bLfQjQjELiN2i3fQSIwXqQfgXP26GTHZWj4tki9uZks2ecaDKurNbmondoM4HbtxoWeV747uxwt7xd4C8OjqespEwNzJF16AIU4j6nh1NBTo3RFlRYHLdP_siSt3mFMy4GeEki2ACNoct9QKBMT9DQ0A7YIbqyQlSfQEd8ORSxYTpY1RW8OhWRb5dXQLcg=w140-h105-no
Hidden away in a leafy pocket is this this 1850s stone cottage with a brick addition.
  • 'Bluff Cottage' enjoys a beachfront location and is sited on 1502 sqm parcel of land with potential for another cottage under a strata title.
  • The original home accommodates a large living area with lofty timber ceilings and open fire place with bedroom access.
  • The later addition incorporates kitchen, family room, 2 bedrooms, shower room, toilet, laundry and attic for office / studio or 4th bedroom.
A rare gem with direct access onto Nine Mile Beach in a lovely private location.

Bluff Cottage is of historic heritage significance because of its ability to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building.

Description:

This is a single storey, sandstone rubble building with a corrugated iron hipped roof. There are numerous other hipped roof additions of various dates. The windows are a mixture of double hung and casement.


S02. The Old Manse, 9 Dove Lane, (formerly Maria Street) Swansea TAS


external image qoVKPp0NtNGfUnS5ne_hr-3oMioDPvzhBP__K1gbzm39O2lqBbo28u2lyzRQPvTkFV6u42rJsd713jCydmB7fitcgtGGy99Ys0Em_dmNygJwo2KUu1NHxfaZHmzluIrV-tthfLGH0-oBKs4IBzbhzBHkUKZNMnzZ94npSip0DPQ6AK5d6G_FI93VF0_GFGVEi1-iF5tbh0JKQ3eD-vnPsEtLxfs2-7t6x0QVYLiogF-157ZRUfrTQV2CFKRnH_z27R9WVFUptSEaEjeolsK5T6vAS71_SNROy6p3XQAjjQ7N-V4OhNRQK8128CM0QYJtDXt22AKgyvNZNHRZI2CFUGebq8oGeuZ35NtZNpIjnBnyXoRiiA8Z6TbNC4iNju1OjlAuPRWDtfdVYsPnr56v_N-_ItZ7M5ghtZcz5hHSiDQFKDMk5hNCihrqBJ26zaM8AjyEPZ21gapVWe2fHeYYkBbzki4JnEZL_P53yzjA9HKuzSptV18d4t_eAUF3lIb1VBp5a8KILRIxuKzIv7nVU-05G0LMoJL9g813kGMsbRQXBrh-mn87LkkBN28VFs5JN-R869I7sKv4uOguSpheNkiu9PUbFX_uP_UDNEggG2Gm7bMJhg=w140-h111-noexternal image my07o9UrWQVcpntU0OrHfGbu3C7-TUzI1a19RZH1DHXaj_rZPJ2IHcyWObDOVtEioRLVKsuVDzGT19QrUKAbDGo8-5twTb9kE88cfeaLVvllVBMh23DWE92w_Cb22PpNzzUh_f1j0jyqtO-oBKJLeUpm4aAPLnsHNE7lQDMu-q2xW2zFigb0oPZww0oBoi60811wdwo6z0s_Xu-r5BNC3SWT2_ldVrWTi9tXZIp9ffpw71XIpswYmEGqhPlC-sWFpFvg9cmGB4wu0TWQqbxRmeJwA1CZSkQ3QeDLSHlGxP7GUJB6rnQI5StUZrnm4pt2q7sfoIGfH8sfhPUAx4wHIZ7j5x7E8HI20jNQcfoxfefPQSD_yYm8Ji-5h3F3msDoVwmszJjPzoW5kTlK056C9RJ7wal873TwyNktYaQHGyl3ngoa512kkGGMxPJ6UaLJpEjHFmaTngQQG97KdRbjyLnhI8sOofHrMOvigTZD1QkSmmMkk2tbgCMM427RUX6kYJyvO5J3O67QJFmpX90erv0pDu4913qYc3WRb-4JpyYF_ZdGZfon6eH1lMAGs5mXIgwcgRPWbZMc5OSNMgrWEGi2WfcwT13pkg8yvrb7CwMYt_dOqA=w140-h89-noexternal image sydY-VTgjGDWy4kcBMC4YBHRcCYcP9O7g_4zSy2g-QoYCehnXY-GuBLopaJlxEUummgMtPU0Orw=w140-h89-no
The Old Manse (1840) is of historic heritage significance because of its ability to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian ecclesiastical domestic building.

Description:

A single storey, rubble sandstone building with a corrugated iron roof, boxed eaves and simple chimneys. The door is to one side of a gable end wall. This elevation has a verandah with a skillion roof, conjoined with the roof over the weatherboard extension to the side elevation; the side extension is under the broken-back main roof. There are three windows in the other side elevation, double-hung with 16 panes. There are two windows to the attic in each gable, double-hung with 12 panes.


S03. Shaw's Buildings (Now Morey's shop)


  • In 1863 the Waterloo Point Post Office was renamed Swansea.
  • Classified in 1976
  • Was Moreys General Store & Bakery, 40 Franklin Street Swansea, now Oyster Bay Seafood, Swansea.
Mr Edward Carr Shaw (1813–1885) was one of the earliest residents of Glamorgan Shire.
  • He was persuaded by James Lord to come to Tasmania from Western Australia, arriving in the last quarter of 1830.
  • Shortly afterwards he settled in the Glamorgan district, first renting and subsequently purchasing the Red Banks estate. There he continued to reside till the middle of 1883.
  • Edward Carr Shaw was for some years the warden of Glamorgan and ever a consistent member of the Church of England, and held a seat in the synod of the Anglican Church, representing the parish of Swansea from the first establishment of the diocese.
  • Shaws Building is of historic heritage significance because of its potential to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a two storey, stuccoed Victorian Georgian commercial building.
external image 1I0b3IFWApQTHp1J9H-z5kGhb0aoiOfoSLhdcbHcYmwXCo5zy8rhwXuikfonIErpJ5NahPoFYqSW6kQ=w175-h120-rwexternal image sYNuOunIx9u8YEVjUvjGv3V33cCW2N8LFlYa-OcouJ8sE7P12FdhRQ8LmdKBk8uHJCs9nsxkswPpyWQ=w175-h112-rwexternal image QK7jrJFLdIbUWINvT2KFdPMxhOsNyy4t4mSVptzKyDYGGCAwV3LEbIE1-R372E1nE-DYQLGgigVNGWc=w175-h124-rwexternal image 3x6fbxvmmMA4cPVFm6OcJyNtYDQVrDNi7kxLN5ESNMyfR_XO4pcYO5Fh1JcemCMW8Ppr7XZ3A1ut5mA=w175-h117-rw
Description: An asymmetrical set of three conjoined buildings. The buildings are two storey, stuccoed with corrugated iron hipped roofs and simple chimneys. The front elevations have been almost entirely remodelled. The rear elevations have 1, 2 or 3-part windows with small panes.
  • ARCHITECTURAL STYLE:- Victorian Georgian
  • Tasmanian Heritage Register Record ID: 1544


S04. Morris' Store 13-15 Franklin Street, Swansea, Tasmania, Australia 7190


This building is of historic heritage significance because its townscape associations are regarded as important to Swansea's communitys sense of place.
The Morris General Store is of historic heritage significance because of its ability to demonstrate the principal characteristics of a three storey, brick Victorian Georgian commercial building.
external image wam4ZBTww0O8rhbapqbpAZBa9miILnewL1dyz_yNr95hayN8wlLcRmrAkCAKYtHIoRqTMxAMiGEWvHs=w140-h80-rw external image thumbnail.pl?rt41950 external image thumbnail.pl?rt41952 external image thumbnail.pl?rt41951 external image lcI5_VjLu11g5t-q4jsp_Ipf2XXssQQJIn7IoATee9IOh_Z7TeVbcoCdNIQampxESFMf2BueM1lWtCA=w140-h93-rw

An impressive, large brick and stone store, which has been in the Morris family ownership and operation for over 100 years. The building is intact and is very simply and strongly detailed. It was built as a single storey structure about 1845 and the top two floors were added c1855. Its impressive scale and fine location overlooking the bay make it an essential townscape element.

Description


A symmetrical, three storey, brick building with two corrugated iron hipped roofs (parallel to the street-frontage) and wide boxed eaves.
  • The door is central and has a portico. There are three windows on both sides. There are seven windows to the first and second floors. All the windows are double-hung with 12 panes.
  • The side elevations are both the same; the ground floor has two windows; the first floor has a loading bay at one end, and three windows; the second floor has two loading bays, with a window in the middle; there is a cantilevered pulley at eaves level.
  • ARCHITECTURAL STYLE:- Victorian Georgian
  • Tasmanian Heritage Register Record ID: 1545

Three storey store. Levels one and two uncoursed random stone, level three brick (English bond). Brick reveals to openings at levels one and two. Timber window lintels. Twelve pane windows. Iron hip roof-Double hips. Impressive scale and siting overlooking bay.

Removal of porch at front and small addition at rear and reinstatement of original desirable.

S05 The Swansea Institute (War Memorial)

  • also known as Glamorgan Soldiers' War Memorial





Source 1: The Country Towns and Villages of Tasmania, National Trust of Australia (Tasmania) 1976
  • 18 Properties are listed, and 8 properties South of Swansea, 7 of which are already described above. =19 new properties)
  1. Harbottle's Cottage - Classified in 1976
  2. The Old Manse - Classified in 1976
  3. Shaw's Buildings (Morey's shop) - Classified in 1976
  4. Morris' Store - Classified in 1976
  5. The Institute (War Memorial) - Classified in 1976
  6. Council Chambers and Court House - Classified in 1976
  7. The Bakery Residence (Old Ladies College) - Classified in 1976
  8. Miss Dilger's Cottage - Classified in 1976
  9. All Saints Church of England (1871) - Classified in 1976
  10. The Rectory - Classified in 1976
  11. Canberra Guest House - Classified in 1976
  12. Swan Motor Inn - Classified in 1976
  13. Schouten House - Classified in 1976
  14. Braeside, Julia Street - Classified in 1976
  15. Mr Rapp's Cottage - Classified in 1976
  16. The 'Hermitage' - Classified in 1976
  17. Wagner's Cottage and Stone Walls - Classified in 1976
  18. Coswell - Classified in 1976
  19. + Piermont - House (1834) - Classified in 1976

Source 2: The Heritage of Tasmania, the Illustrated Register of the National Estate, Macmillan, 1983
  • Pages 27 - 29, 18 properties in Swansea, Registered in 1983; 11 are not yet listed.
  1. Swan Motor Inn / Swansea Hotel Franklin Street, Swansea
  2. 'Braeside' Julia Street, Swansea
  3. Glamorgan War Memorial (formerly Institute) corner Noyes and Franklin Streets, Swansea
  4. Council Chambers, Noyes Street, Swansea
  5. Canberra Guest House (former Inn) Noyes Street, Swansea
  6. The Bakery Residence, Noyes Street, Swansea
  7. Miss Dilger's Cottage 8 NOyes Street Swansea
  8. All Saints Church, corner Noyes and Wellington Streets, Swansea
  9. 'The Hermitage' Tasman Highway, Swansea
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  10. Spiky Bridge, Tasman Highway, 8 km South of Swansea
    (already listed - see LS12. Spiky Bridge)
  11. 'Cambria' Tasman Highway, 2 km north of Swansea
    (already listed - see C2. Cambria House and outbuildings)
  12. 'Kelvedon' and outbuildings, Tasman Highway, 10 km south of Swansea
    (already listed - see S2. Kelveden & Outbuildings)
  13. 'Mayfield' and Outbuildings, Tasman Highway, 20 km south of Swansea
    (already listed - see LS8. Mayfield)
  14. 'Lisdillon' off Tasman Highway, 25 km south of Swansea
    (already listed - see LS6. Lisdillon Salt Works and 2. Lisdillon Salt Works)

  15. Schouten House, corner Waterloo and Wellington Streets, Swansea
  16. 'Plas Newydd' (former Rectory) Wellington Street, Swansea

  17. Mitchell Cottage (former 'Lisdillon' Church Schoolhouse) Tasman Highway, 25 km south of Swansea
    (already listed - see LS5. Lisdillon Church, now Mitchell Cottage)
  18. 'Red Banks' and Outbuildings, Tasman Highway, Swansea(already listed - see C9. Red Banks House and Buildings}

Source 3: Glamorgan Spring Bay Municipality
  • 34 properties listed: 24 are not yet listed

Table E13.1 Heritage Places

Ref. No.
Ref. No.
Name, Location and/or Address
C.T.
General
Description
Specific Extent


40
Apsley House
16182 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT53186/1
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1494


41
Former Apslawn House
16182 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT212607/1
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1495


42
Gemmells Cottage
2 Bridge Street Swansea
CT237130/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1539


43
The Old Manse
Dove Lane (formerly Maria Street ) Swansea


Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1540


44
House (Kimber, Lawn)
20 Franklin Street Swansea
CT128355/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1541


45
House (Cusick, Wright)
56 Franklin Street Swansea
CT162093/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1542


46
Former Commercial Bank
7 Maria Street Swansea
CT 159396/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1543


47
Shaws Building, now Morey's Store
40 Franklin Street Swansea
CT127928/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1544


48
Morris General Store
13-15 Franklin Street Swansea
CT140386/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1545


49
Grandview (Formerly Oyster Bay Holiday Lodge)
10b Franklin Street Swansea
CT157330/2

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1547


50
Abbotsford, formerly Rapsville, formerly Glen Morey
50 Gordon Street Swansea
CT45757/4
CT47140/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1548


51
Braeside
21 Julia Street Swansea
CT54163/2

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1550


52
Miss Dilger's Cottage
7 Noyes Street Swansea
CT203454/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1551


53
Laughton Cottage, now Meredith House
15 Noyes Street Swansea
CT32847/5

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1552


54
Council Chambers and Court House
4 Noyes Street Swansea
PID 5275484

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1553


55
St Andrew's Uniting Church
21 Wellington Street, Swansea
CT141051/1 & 2

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1554


56
Rockingham Villa
5 Noyes Street Swansea
CT53841/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1555


57
Old School House and War Memorial
22 Franklin Street Swansea
CT206337/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1556


58
Harbottles Cottage, also known as Bluff Cottage,
formerly Caulfield Cottage
45 Shaw Street Swansea
CT168646/5

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1557


59
Belmont
14106 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT100096/1
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1558


60
Cambria
13566 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT111628/1
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1559


61
Coswell
13054 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT109242/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1560


62
Kelvedon
12371 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT108120/2
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1562


63
Piermont, formerly Pierpoint
12290 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT139010/0

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1563


64
Red Banks
13514 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT35679/1 & 2
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1564


65
Riversdale House
14193 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT48983/1
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1565


66
Riversdale Mill
14193 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT48983/1
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID1566


67
Spiky Bridge, formerly La Farelles Bridge
Tasman Highway Swansea
CT40/3839
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1567


68
Wagners Cottage
100 Tasman Highway Swansea
CT142999/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1569


69
The Springs
149 The Springs Road Swansea
CT129882/1 & 3
Includes Allen Tombstone.
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1571


70
Plas Newydd
29 Wellington Street
Swansea
CT153402/2

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1572


71
All Saints Church and Church Hall
10 Noyes Street
Swansea
CT203671/6

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1573


72
Schouten House
2 Waterloo Road Swansea
CT46336/1

Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 1574


73
12 Macrocarpa Trees, Kelvedon
12371 Tasman Highway Swansea
PID 3142020
Already Listed
Tasmanian Heritage Register ID 10171


Source 4: Register of the National Estate
33 results found.
All Saints Anglican Church Noyes St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Belmont House RA 14106 Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Big Sassy Creek Invertebrate Site
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Indicative Place)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Braeside 21 Julia St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Cambria Homestead and Outbuildings Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Cottage 7 Noyes St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Dry Creek Nature Reserve McNeils Rd
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Indicative Place)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Glamorgan Municipal Offices & Courthouse (Former) Noyes St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Glamorgan War Memorial Community Centre Franklin St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Glenheriot Tasman Hwy
Cranbrook, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Indigenous Place
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Kelvedon & Outbuildings Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Kelvedon Garden Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Indicative Place)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Long Marsh Dam Area
Ross, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Mayfield & Outbuildings RA 11610 Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Meredith House 15 Noyes St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Morris General Store 13 Franklin St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Moulting Lagoon Game Reserve & Coles Bay Road Area
Cranbrook, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Mount Tooms Area
Little Swanport, TAS, Australia
(Indicative Place)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Piermont Barn Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Destroyed)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Plas Newydd 29 Wellington St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Redbanks and Outbuildings Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Riversdale Mill RA 14193 Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Rockingham Villa 5 Noyes St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Rocky Hills Probation Station Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Indicative Place)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Schouten House 1 Waterloo Rd
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Spiky Bridge Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Swan Motor Inn (Original Section) Franklin St
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

The Hermitage Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

The Springs House Springs Rd
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)
Already Listed
Tooms Lake Conservation Area
Ross, TAS, Australia
(Interim List)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Wagners Cottage & Dry Stone Walls Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Registered)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)

Webber Point-Buxton Point Coastal Area Tasman Hwy
Swansea, TAS, Australia
(Indicative Place)
Register of the National Estate
(Non-statutory archive)


Report Produced: Sat Dec 3 08:51:46 2016


Source 5: Australian Heritage Places Inventory
56 records found, displaying all records.
Place Name
Location
Local Government
Source
12 Macrocarpa trees
12371 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
All Saints Anglican Church
Noyes St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
All Saints Church and Church Hall
Wellington Street and Noyes Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Apsley House
16182 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Belmont
RA 14106 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Belmont House
RA 14106 Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Braeside
21 Julia Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Braeside
21 Julia St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Cambria
13566 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Cambria Homestead and Outbuildings
Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Commercial Bank
7 Maria Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Coswell
13054 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Cottage
7 Noyes St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Council Chambers and Court House
Noyes Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Former Apslawn House
Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Gemmells Cottage
2 Bridge Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Glamorgan Municipal Offices & Courthouse (Former)
Noyes St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Glamorgan War Memorial Community Centre
Franklin St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Harbottles Cottage, also known as Bluff Cottage, former Caulfield Cottage
45 Shaw Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
House (Cusick, Wright)
56 Franklin Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
House (Kimber, Lawn)
20 Franklin Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Indigenous Place
Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Kelvedon
12371 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Kelvedon & Outbuildings
Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Laughton Cottage, now Meredith House
15 Noyes Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Mayfield & Outbuildings
RA 11610 Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Meredith House
15 Noyes St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Miss Dilgers Cottage
7 Noyes Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Morris General Store
13 Franklin Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Morris General Store
13 Franklin St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Old School House and War Memorial
Noyes Street and Franklin Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Oyster Bay Holiday Lodge
10 Franklin Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Piermont, formerly Pierpoint
RA 12290 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Plas Newydd
29 Wellington Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Plas Newydd
29 Wellington St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Red Banks
13514 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Redbanks and Outbuildings
Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Riversdale House
RA 14193 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Riversdale Mill
RA 14193 Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Riversdale Mill
RA 14193 Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Rockingham Villa
5 Noyes Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Rockingham Villa
5 Noyes St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Schouten House
1 Waterloo Road, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Schouten House
1 Waterloo Rd, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Shaws Building, now Moreys Store
Franklin Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Spiky Bridge
Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Spiky Bridge, former La Farelles Bridge
Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
St. Andrews Uniting Church
21 Wellington Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Swan Motor Inn
Franklin Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Swan Motor Inn (Original Section)
Franklin St, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
The Hermitage
Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
The Old Manse
Maria Street, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
The Springs
149 The Springs Road, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
The Springs House
Springs Rd, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Wagners Cottage
Tasman Highway, Swansea
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Wagners Cottage & Dry Stone Walls
Tasman Hwy, Swansea
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate

Triabunna

Township in Tasmania, Australia
Triabunna is the second largest township in Eastern Tasmania
Triabunna is the second largest township in Eastern Tasmania

Map of Triabunna Australia
Map of Triabunna Australia

  • Triabunna is a scenic port town surrounded by beaches, hills and beautiful eucalyptus forest. It's also the departure point for the ferry to Maria Island National Park. Triabunna began life as a garrison town for the penal colony at Maria Island.
  • Triabunna is the second largest township on the east coast of Tasmania, the civic and municipal heart of the Glamorgan Spring Bay Council and is 84 kilometres to the north-east of the state capital Hobart. Wikipedia


12 records found.
Blakes Cottage
36 Henry Street, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Boarding House
7 Charles Street, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Burial Ground, known as Dead Isle
, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Cusicks Cottage
6 Henry Street, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Former barracks and stable
5 Charles Street, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Maria Island Convict Sites
Darlington via Triabunna
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Maria Island National Park
Triabunna
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
Rostrevor Stables
RA 8731 Tasman Highway, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Rostrevor Stables
Tasman Hwy, Triabunna
Glamorgan - Spring Bay Municipality
Register of the National Estate
St. Marys Church
Franklin Street, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Triabunna District High School, office and Performing Arts Centre (former library)
15 Melbourne Street, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register
Woodstock (house and stables)
RA 8311 Tasman Highway, Triabunna
Glamorgan/Spring Bay
Tasmanian Heritage Register