Iandra Station or Mt. Oriel Homestead, Greenethorpe NSW

870 Iandra Road, Greenethorpe NSW 2809.
A unique Edwardian estate located in country NSW. Phone: 02 6383 9241 Mobile: 0429 455 409; email: info@iandracastle.com.au

[Previous Post: National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 15 .... Next Post: National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 16 - East Coast]
Iandra Station or Mt. Oriel Homestead
Iandra Station or Mt. Oriel Homestead

Iandra Station and Mount Oriel Homestead, known as Iandra Castle, was established by George Henry Greene from 1878-1911 and is a rare example of a complete ‘English Manor’ style estate.
In 1908 Greene commenced the conversion of this single storey brick house to a two-storey reinforced concrete building
In 1908 Greene commenced the conversion of this single storey brick house to a two-storey reinforced concrete building

  • The nearby village of Greenethorpe was built by Greene for his tenant farmers.
  • The house is situated 30 minutes drive from Cowra and is open to the public on certain days of the year or for coach parties by appointment.
Iandra Castle, near Grenfell NSW
Iandra Castle, near Grenfell NSW

The Iandra Homestead Pastoral Estate, originally established by George Henry Greene from 1878-1911, is of outstanding significance as arguably the largest and most progressive wheat property and wheat farming enterprise of its time in Australia.
  • The vast estate of approximately 3,000 acres (1215 ha) comprises a magnificent Federation homestead, park-like gardens, original workers cottages, managers residence, blacksmith, chapel and cemetery, wool and hay sheds, silo, other outbuildings, associated structures, and surrounding farmland.
Built between 1908 and 1910 in the Federation Romanesque style by the pioneering engineer Edward Giles Stone, Iandra is a significant Australian example of early reinforced concrete construction.
Built between 1908 and 1910 in the Federation Romanesque style by the pioneering engineer Edward Giles Stone, Iandra is a significant Australian example of early reinforced concrete construction.

It was at Iandra that its owner, George Henry Greene, pioneered share-farming in 1892, which revolutionised the approach to wheat growing in Australia.
Iandra Station or Mt.Oriel Homestead
Iandra Station or Mt.Oriel Homestead

  • Iandra was also at the forefront of wheat growing technology in the nation.
  • The Iandra enterprise produced the largest yield of wheat at the time from a single property soon after the turn of the century.
  • The harvest of this yield saw a concentration of labour forces of 500-600 men, a scale not previously witnessed in rural NSW.
  • In its scale, grandeur, planning, farmlands, gardens and collection of purpose-related buildings, the vast pastoral estate of Iandra provides valuable and rare evidence of the advancements, operation, prosperity and importance of wheat growing in Australia's development during the early 1900s.

The estate is closely associated with the life, empire and enterprises of George Henry Greene, a prominent and leading figure in rural affairs in Australia and NSW during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
  • Greene served three terms as the MP for Grenfell, then as a Member of the Legislative Council.
  • He also obtained the rail link for Grenfell. Greene died in 1911 and was buried at Iandra.
  • Biography; Obituary

George Henry Greene (1838-1911),

pastoralist, wheat-grower and politician, was born on 20 July 1838 at Collon, Louth, Ireland, fifth son of Lieutenant William Pomeroy Greene, R.N., and his wife Anne, née Griffith.
  • In 1842 William chartered the Sarah to convey an extensive household to Port Phillip, including his sons Molesworth and George, and (Sir) William Stawell who married his daughter Mary.
  • Soon after arriving on 1 December, the Greenes settled at Woodlands, near Melbourne.
  • George was educated at Mr Trollope's Collingwood school, the Melbourne Diocesan Grammar School and the Richmond Grammar School; in 1855 he enrolled at the University of Melbourne. In 1858 he was one of the first five students to graduate B.A.

Greene acquired pastoral experience in southern New South Wales on Billabong station, in which he held a share, and later was part-owner of Tooma and Marogle stations.
  • He was appointed a magistrate in 1867. On 26 July 1870 at New Town, Tasmania, he married Ellen Elizabeth (Nelly), daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Andrew Crawford. They travelled around the world for two years after selling their station interests in 1875.

On his return to New South Wales Greene bought Iandra, a 32,600 acre (13,193 ha) estate near Grenfell, in 1878 and began grazing and wheat-growing.
  • He was a member of the Young Pastures and Stock Protection Board in 1881-84 and chairman in 1885-88.
  • An early advocate of netting to control the spread of rabbits, he attended various conferences and, despite scepticism from his neighbours, had his property fully netted at an early date. Later he was vindicated.
  • In 1888 Greene called the meeting at which the Young and Lachlan District Sheepowners' Association was formed, and on 9 July 1890 became a foundation member of the Pastoralists' Union of New South Wales.
  • He favoured conciliation with the Amalgamated Shearers' Union of Australasia; unlike many other pastoralists, he was not opposed to unionism itself. In 1893 he was a commissioner for the World's Columbian Exposition at Chicago.
external image dA-I1OrfpV_EhgWjo14H926MoqUwBhCH09asI_xmbeQy6yHpFJlhFvIRga5pn6Ckdwwpbk6K62MzvHNR04Yc6aBNGFaPbfzbUW_cJTt1uXGZ6ie_4F4k3MMUvcVigPBSmVQisaiOno1M0osvUq_xiNQqNfDRPL7lnCuW0ghVJQxZsn0XIJIXUbRRobJa7F2gnuLfddZzWBv7m23Cbf9nm_KB4JmAX7LiaTVubpBIy4C8DcjoqgAc1dx9_VNAbfdwgvu0BRyw9OgrjNaoZfupRMXdJ5XuSJCPCNUMdrjpzK5LS62jvI2kMRvGQWJRPTU0ROsRzqivs3WZKx4XAGCzFMLSlrP4kS38hz3JLgqRwfYktU1DsqMdW3kLSmJuzvXO-YPUXbErLI6g6yj8U8Ah1A0nBBihxwrbZ57eztY64tZRAiohePqJ39xRnUaGJWV7zXuZChP1tlP2Lf2k2TpkdzzR3vbWfd7lnOfkztpXTo_n6sVBb_hGVjvgGrdKGFUOcuP3maAkqAU0NtJCV-vSlMpLmPqysZvIq_Yb7GsSu6LG44iS_b8onrQBx2J7myDNPxh5YtnwI5o3SLQXsUcdO5_kab2hwWVJ9YCLo1DCcKzJW_JaPg=w246-h338-no

NSW Parliamentary Service

Length of Position
Member of the NSW Legislative Assembly
04 Feb 1889 to 08 Jul 1898
Member of the NSW Legislative Council
11 Apr 1899 to 22 Dec 1911
Life Appointment under the Constitution Act.
Date of Writ of Summons 8 April 1899.
Member for Grenfell
04 Feb 1889 to 06 Jun 1891
Member for Grenfell
17 Jul 1894 to 24 Oct 1894
Member for Grenfell
24 Jul 1895 to 08 Jul 1898

Community Activity
Commissioned as a Justice of the Peace in 1867.Commissioner of the Chicago Exposition in 1893; Chairman of the Pastures and Stock Board for the Young district for several years;prominent in the Pastoralists' Association; and was a member of the Union Club.
Qualifications, occupations and interests
Pastoralist and agriculturalist. Arrived in Melbourne in 1842. Father established Woodlands estate near Melbourne. Educated privately until 12, when sent to Mr Trollopes School, Collingwood.
  • Melbourne Diocesan Grammar School and Mr W.C Northcott's school at Richmond and University of Melbourne (B.A).
  • Obtained pastoral experience on Billabong Station, in which he had a share.
    Part owner with A.Chomley of Tooma and Marogle stations on Murray.
  • Sold out c.1875 and went on a world trip for 2 years.
  • Purchased a property of 32,000 acres.
  • Commissioner of Chicago Exposition in 1893; chairman of Pastures and Stock Board for Young district for several years; prominent in Pastoralist Association; introduced wire netting against rabbits; several visits to Ireland, member of Union Club.

Personal
Son of William Pomeroy, farmer and retired naval officer and Anne Griffith. Married Ellen Elizabeth Crawford in 1870 and had 3 daughters and 2 sons. Church of England.
Date of Birth: 20/07/1838 - Place of Birth: Collon, County Louth, Ireland
Date of Death: 22/12/1911 - Place of Death: Grenfell, New South Wales, Australia
external image G-58o7HM660I45NSHdv9Kbdy2V02doAkw2CG31mvg1mMv2gOm3c0-T7unKZvMNEua4sSYWCh3T8NuC1swxX72MgAXde5nDbzKGmUrMWA63BjCDG1Houkybg4q3bRKFH83t4Dvvmu2zjo0TVt2wHcZK9d2FK5rtfrHc5juBya8_ioJeG7YO88p911X7TC0Ml_M_xsfYqeFZbVAvK2piniySsjQu-2DPqnoOBE6fM35HR_ynoF3YWjx4QaLKU-3uUGkTwAOhdD4UjI4YYQgJfTZ4Oe7EQK415v3okYYcTqAAqnbqezfaIWX6ldIUFfbXg_tWmrwTXSMi-RtZDFokrknNO6dfMGiU9FUgaQfE2wffFg8Xp1LyO0p6oonZuiB1g_Gs4Ys0hcheE_I2u5EfrzM9U7CTRCOh6g45vvaFPIvJfXjVbOv1VZP3EiR6AUlFVC1pV6RCE2qE__ilGqaWpcYa3RuMghVdINK3ZZuy-IZ5kVNvxp1x3lafRFnkn6u7rAENTbm3SLBKX3cLXmyQfG85pn-SdMzWahYMkTUloZ0y0Anwb0PC21VGXadhv-v0jR82Z89aJvbE7I21YEPzpuiYK4SxPtPYSLSE8QoOA5upcpmSlJlA=w200-h240-no
Iandra represents a rare example of a complete feudal-like estate established in Australia, modelled on the English Manor system, during the Federation period, which may have no equal in NSW or Australia.
  • All elements of the estate date from the Federation period and were constructed for the Iandra homestead owner, centred around the Iandra homestead and wheat production, including the adjoining Greenethorpe village built by Greene for his tenants.
  • The integrity and condition of the complex as a whole is exceptionally high, which can be largely attributed to its faithful restoration by David Morris from the 1970s.
  • The manor house itself is a landmark and remarkable example of the Federation Romanesque style illustrating the work of English architects in Australia and, together with other buildings on the estate, is an exceptional example of early reinforced concrete construction.
Iandra Castle
Iandra Castle

Iandra also remains one of few tangible places that embody the iconic, optimistic image of Australia as "the lucky country",
  • which can still be appreciated in the surviving, grand, Edwardian estate,
  • where a European immigrant bought undeveloped land in the middle of rural NSW,
  • created his own replica European empire and made himself "Lord of the Manor" out of little except his own ambition, vision, enterprise, determination and the riches of the land.
From Wikipedia:

Iandra Castle
Iandra Castle

Iandra chapel
Iandra chapel

The dwelling along with the surrounding stables, church and residences were listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register in 2005.[1]

Built between 1908 and 1910 in the Federation Romanesque style by the pioneering engineer Edward Giles Stone, Iandra is a significant Australian example of early reinforced concrete construction.

The homestead, with the surrounding agricultural property is a rare example in Australia of the manorial system, "the likes of which may not exist elsewhere in the state or nation".[1]

  • Although Iandra is colloquially known as a castle, Iandra is not a castle. A castle is a fortified building designed for the defence of territories in warfare, and also used to solidify rule in a region during peace time.
  • Iandra is styled on a traditional English stately home, and to call it a castle is technically incorrect. The most correct name for Iandra is probably the one given to it by its first owner George Greene, which is Mount Oriel Homestead.
  • The main dwelling in the Iandra homestead is an ornate mansion built from reinforced concrete in the Federation Romanesque style with Tudor influences.
  • Consisting of 57 rooms on two storeys, it is referred to locally as "The Castle" in reference to its striking design and its semi-feudal role in the community.
    • The homestead, built by pioneering engineer, Edward Giles Stone, also includes a blacksmith, manager's residence, stables, and a small Gothic chapel.[1]