[Previous post: Corinya, Wangaratta ... Next post: Federation Beauties]

Bridgetown W.A.

external image Bridgetown%2520lge%2520animation.gif

external image austmap.jpg

Bridgetown is a picturesque timber town nestled among rolling hills in the South West region of Western Australia, approximately 270 kilometres (168 mi) south of Perth on the Blackwood River at the intersection of South Western Highway with Brockman Highway to Nannup and Augusta.
  • Population 2321[1]
  • Bridgetown is on the banks of the Blackwood River and crossing the river, Bridgetown boasts the longest wooden bridge in the state, made of the area's famous jarrah.
  • Bridgetown lies mainly north of the Blackwood River‚ 94 kilometres south-east of Bunbury‚ in the heart of the South West’s big timber country.
  • A temperate climate and high rainfall produce the lush forests‚ rich farmland‚ pine plantations and wildflowers that attract many artists and photographers to the region.
  • Centre of the Festival of Country Gardens. Follow the Festival on their Facebook Page
Bridgetown panorama
Bridgetown panorama

Bridgetown Attractions
Bridgetown Attractions

Flowers and birds found near Bridgetown W.A.
Flowers and birds found near Bridgetown W.A.


Oak Tree Barn Bridgetown Panorama
Oak Tree Barn Bridgetown Panorama

Bridgetown Oak Tree Barn Luxury Retreat
Bridgetown Oak Tree Barn Luxury Retreat


One of the most picturesque towns in Western Australia, Bridgetown sits against a backdrop of the beautiful Blackwood River Valley and oozes old world country charm. It also serves a taste of the good life in generous portions, with wineries, delicious fresh produce, arts, crafts and stunningly scenic drives.
  • You can escape the city to this quiet country life in under three hours by road and wake up to valleys filled with morning mist and tranquil forests.
  • The centre of a thriving timber, mining and farming district, Bridgetown is a prolific producer of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and olives, not to mention wine and cider.
  • You can indulge in some of its flavours in the region's cafes, restaurants and cellar doors and cidery.
Bridgetown Parks & Tracks
Bridgetown Parks & Tracks

Bridgetown Accomodation
Bridgetown Accomodation

Bridgetown Events
Bridgetown Events

Things to see and do in Bridgetown
Things to see and do in Bridgetown

Many artists are drawn to the area, finding their inspiration in the Blackwood River Valley landscapes and exhibiting their work in local galleries.
  • Action and adventure are in abundance too, with a network of canoeing/kayaking, walking, mountain biking and bridle trails to choose from.
  • The town also hosts many events, including the ever-popular Blues at Bridgetown Festival, attracting world-class musicians and large crowds to the region every November.[2]
Federation streetscape in Hampton Street Bridgetown WA
Federation streetscape in Hampton Street Bridgetown WA
  • Bridgetown is the only heritage listed town in the South West of Western Australia.
  • Originally a successful apple producing district the area has now expanded into the timber, tantalum & lithium mining, dairy, cattle, and fruit industries.
  • The native marsupial bilby is found in the forests of this area.
  • Within easy day trip reach are the Southern Forest areas of Pemberton and Northcliffe, the World renowned Tree Top Walk near Walpole, dolphin watching at Bunbury, the wonderful beaches of Busselton and Dunsborough, Busselton Jetty and its under water aquarium, the Margaret River Wine Region and surf beaches.
external image 24_17.png
external image 24_18.png
external image Bridgetown%2520Attractions%2520med.gif

Ford House is one of the classic early properties of the Blackwood River Valley.
Ford House is one of the classic early properties of the Blackwood River Valley.

Main street of Bridgetown, Hampton Street
Main street of Bridgetown, Hampton Street

Hampton Street, Bridgetown, north from Steere street, 1949
Hampton Street, Bridgetown, north from Steere street, 1949

National Trust property, Bridgedale House, First house in the district, 1862, photo by Elaine Teague
National Trust property, Bridgedale House, First house in the district, 1862, photo by Elaine Teague

Flowering Peach tree on a fence of one of the Bridgetown gardens open for the Country Gardens Festival
Flowering Peach tree on a fence of one of the Bridgetown gardens open for the Country Gardens Festival

November is time for the annual Bridgetown Blues Festival in South West Australia.
November is time for the annual Bridgetown Blues Festival in South West Australia.
Bridges over the Blackwood River, Bridgetown, Western Australia by Elaine Teague
Bridges over the Blackwood River, Bridgetown, Western Australia by Elaine Teague

Kandalee, Moyola, BellaVista were some of the gardens open in Bridgetown for the Festival of Country Gardens over four days in 2014.
Kandalee, Moyola, BellaVista were some of the gardens open in Bridgetown for the Festival of Country Gardens over four days in 2014.

  • Tranquility, hospitality and breathtaking views make Bridgetown an ideal place to catch your breath and establish a base from which to explore the Blackwood Valley's wealth of attractions.
  • Just under 3 hours drive from Perth and a little over an hour from Margaret River and the coastal strip, the area is your opportunity to unwind and enjoy the very best of the South West.
  • Bridgetown itself enjoys a rustic charm with a unique wooded backdrop and an enviable array of eating houses and boutique shops.
  • Once the apple growing centre of the state, Bridgetown is now famous for its rolling hills, scenic drives, jarrah forests, starry nights and the longest flowing river in the state, the mighty Blackwood.[3]

From a ford, to a bridge, to a town:

Bridgetown in 1910; The Freemasons Hotel existed as did the Shire offices, while the building on the opposite corner is also extant (Roger Machin)
Bridgetown in 1910; The Freemasons Hotel existed as did the Shire offices, while the building on the opposite corner is also extant (Roger Machin)

Bridgetown Bridges history
Bridgetown Bridges history

Early bridges; Built in 1862, the footbridge was upstream of the current span. It was used for a bonfire when it became unsafe.The structure on the left was erected in 1868. Bridge number 4 followed in 1935 and the fifth in 1981. (Bridgetown Historical Society)
Early bridges; Built in 1862, the footbridge was upstream of the current span. It was used for a bonfire when it became unsafe.The structure on the left was erected in 1868. Bridge number 4 followed in 1935 and the fifth in 1981. (Bridgetown Historical Society)

external image Bridgetown%2520bridge03b.jpg



1. 10 River Road Bridgetown - BELLAVISTA

For sale 2014
external image Bellavista%2520animation%2520lge.gif
10 River Road, Bridgetown
10 River Road, Bridgetown

10 River Road, Bridgetown
10 River Road, Bridgetown

10 River Road, Bridgetown
10 River Road, Bridgetown

The red poppies in BellaVista's garden have flowered
The red poppies in BellaVista's garden have flowered

Bellavista 2009 Photo courtesy Merle and Tony Davis
Bellavista 2009 Photo courtesy Merle and Tony Davis

'Dorothy Perkins' has opened and emerged from out of the Wisteria at BellaVista in Bridgetown.
'Dorothy Perkins' has opened and emerged from out of the Wisteria at BellaVista in Bridgetown.


2. Bridgetown Houses

Bridgetown's heritage houses
Bridgetown's heritage houses

Federation home in timber at 13 Flintoff Road Bridgetown WA 6255
Federation home in timber at 13 Flintoff Road Bridgetown WA 6255

Horti Towers teahouse, Bridgetown W.A.
Horti Towers teahouse, Bridgetown W.A.
Bridgetown Community Resource Centre or, Scroungers Antique Collection,  150 Hampton Street, Bridgetown
Bridgetown Community Resource Centre or, Scroungers Antique Collection, 150 Hampton Street, Bridgetown


Heritage Houses in Bridgetown W.A.
View information about this place

Blackwood House

Blackwood Park Rd Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 6645
4 Blackwood Park Road, Bridgetown
4 Blackwood Park Road, Bridgetown

Large bungalow residence built of stone and brick by the Bazzo Bros. builders, in 1930.
external image 2014_2552696.jpg?width=527&height=395&aspect=FitWithinNoPad
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Parkville

Brockman Hwy Bridgetown
Over the years the name of the property has become "Park Farm". In 2011 the well preserved buildings are surrounded with mature exotic tree species, including Bunya Pines. A gazebo and the breezeway between the main house and the kitchen have been artfully incorporated into the structure, enlarging the original living area, whilst maintaining the architectural integrity of the original house.
William Wheatley and his family on the front steps of "Parkville" Homestead about 1908Photo courtesy J & R Frith
William Wheatley and his family on the front steps of "Parkville" Homestead about 1908Photo courtesy J & R Frith

Parkville - The house in 2011 - photo by Fran Taylor
Parkville - The house in 2011 - photo by Fran Taylor
Heritage Place No. 3191

  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Ford House

Cnr Eedle Tce & South Western Hwy Bridgetown - Eedle Terrace, Bridgetown WA 6255,

external image Ford%2520House%2520animation%2520large.gif
Phone : (08) 97 611 816
Federation Bungalow style ...built 1896
Heritage Place No. 3207external image Ford%2520House%2520brief%2520animation%2520small.gif
The house was built near to the original ford over the Blackwood River for W.A.G. Walter who was the first Magistrate in the district.
He bought 5 acres from the original land owner J. Blechnynden, which includes an arboretum.

  • The property was named after the Walter's Estate near Tunbridge Wells in the UK.
  • It has historical, social and aestheic significance as a fine example of a home of the period.
  • Ford House is a Retreat set in exquisite grounds in Bridgetown, in the centre of south west Western Australia.
  • The accommodation offers luxurious 4.5 star facilities.
  • The Bed & Breakfast and Emporium are set amongst 5 acres of beautiful gardens and parkland on the edge of the Blackwood River.
  • Sweeping views, fresh flowers, open fires, spas, a library and lovely gardens add a special touch to this historic property.
  • On-site is the boutique Tongue & Groove Café, open for breakfast, and lunch can be arranged by request.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Nelson House Lodge (formerly Bridgetown Motel, Warners Hotel)

Nelson's of Bridgetown
Nelson's of Bridgetown
external image nelsonsg.jpgCnr Hampton & Phillips Sts Bridgetown
external image nelsonsd.jpgHeritage Place No. 247The Nelson House was built in the 1890's as the 'Warners Hotel' and featured a public bar.
Unfortunately it was a little too far from the centre of town and the railway station to have any real success (especially as a bar). The owners later turned the premises into a boarding house and a small doctor's surgery.
Left abandoned for some time, it became the official haunted house of Bridgetown (every town has one). During World War II it housed Italian interns. Today it is a motel and restaurant.
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Bridgedale, Bridgetown (Blechynden House)

external image 16913-270x.jpg

Hampton St Bridgetown
state register
state register

Front of Bridgedale House, however shingles now replaced by corrugated iron.
Front of Bridgedale House, however shingles now replaced by corrugated iron.
'Bridgedale', the Blechynden House, is the oldest building in Bridgetown and was owned by John Blechynden who was a pioneer pastoralist of the Bridgetown district in the 1850s.
Heritage Place No. 241
  • Bridgedale was constructed in stages and the main part was finished in 1863. It was built by John Blechynden, William May and Joseph Green.
  • They fired the local clay bricks, used local timber which was pit sawn and cut with broad axes and used wooden shingles on the roof. The original house consisted of five small rooms with a middle one serving as a kitchen-living room.
  • Additions were added later as John and Elizabeth Blechynden's family grew. In 1862 Bridgedale became a temporary site of the area's first school.
  • The building was purchased by public subscription in 1969 and handed over to the National Trust of Australia (WA) who now administers the building. Of particular interest are the beautiful gardens and tiny building behind the house where the original owner lived while Bridgedale was being built.
The house is currently closed to the public.
  • There is a pleasant river walk which starts from the house and takes you along the banks of the Blackwood River over a small bridge behind the caravan park through the Blackwood River Park and over the traffic bridge back to Bridgedale House.
View from Hampton Road showing main (SW) facade.JPG
View from Hampton Road showing main (SW) facade.JPG
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Windy Hollow

Henderson Rd nr Kangaroo Gully Rd Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 6646Windy Hollow Homestead & Treehouse is 6 kms east of Bridgetown (follow the blue tourist signs).
The residence was built by a local builder, John Potts (Pop) Henderson, as his own home. It is a weatherboard and iron house which has been extended. Windy Hollow is a beautiful farm property surrounded by rolling hills, pasture, and natural forest
external image 612523e.jpg
external image 612523f.jpg



external image 612523c.jpgexternal image 612523d.jpg
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

May Cottage

Lot 441 May Rd near Turner Rd Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 3204Construction date 1884: Lot 441 on Diagram 222169, C/T 1338/526
May Cottage is a simple, rectangular, timber framed slab structure with gabled roof, small paned casement windows and a simple brick chimney with external flue to the west wall. The house has a new, red colorbond roof and skillon verandah, with large extension and timber deck to the south. The timber and red colorbond extension is 'L' shaped in plan, with a replicated gable roof abutting the original residence along its south elevation, and a gabled north-south walkway linking the western end of the residence to a western wing. The extensions are not readily visible from the street, and the original form of May Cottage is still clearly evident. The pioneering May family of nine lived on a ten acre allotment selling produces, such as fruit & vegetable, dairy goods, in town.
Very significant representing the type of construction typical of early cottages in the south west forest areas in the period of early settlement between 1850 and the 1880s. Significance increased by the intactness and condition of the fabric.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Peninsula House

Peninsula Rd Bridgetown
Early days - The Old Peninsula Homestead
Early days - The Old Peninsula Homestead

The Old Peninsula Homestead a few years later
The Old Peninsula Homestead a few years later

Peninsula House, built 1920
Peninsula House, built 1920

Peninsula House, built 1920
Peninsula House, built 1920

  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Heritage Place No. 3202
1930 Peninsula House - Donald, Janet, Louisa, Ockie and Jack Walter
1930 Peninsula House - Donald, Janet, Louisa, Ockie and Jack Walter

In 1920 the old Peninsula Homestead was demolished to make way for a grand new building which remains standing today.

At times it has been derelict and vandalised, threatened by bushfire, but recently restored to its former glory by the current owners.

Moyola

external image Moyola%2010%20Sept%202011.JPG


Moyola

Lot 6 Turner Rd near Gifford St Bridgetown
external image moyolae.jpg
external image moyolac.jpg
Heritage Place No. 3223
A fine stone and brick mansion with views to the Blackwood Valley beyond.
  • Large stone house (14 rooms) with tiled roof in original condition with original garden of significant plant specimens.
  • House built by Gerry Randle who owned Bridgetown's electrical plant prior to S.E.C. supply.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Federation Style in Modern Bridgetown homes

16 Tweed Road Bridgetown WA 6255
16 Tweed Road Bridgetown WA 6255

113 Miri Miri Street Bridgetown WA 6255
113 Miri Miri Street Bridgetown WA 6255

3. Bridgetown Public Buildings

Bridgetown - heritage National Bank Building
Bridgetown - heritage National Bank Building
Bridgetown Hotel 1990s
external image bh%2003.jpg
In 2000 Bridgetown was the eighth town in the state to be listed by the National Trust and granted Historic Town Status.
In 2000 Bridgetown was the eighth town in the state to be listed by the National Trust and granted Historic Town Status.

Comments and illustrations from Architecture of Bridgetown at Western Australian Vista>Bridgetown>Architecture of Bridgetown
Bridgetown's Public Places
Displaying pictures by Derek Graham
View information about this place

Commercial Bank of Australia (fmr) (Accountants Office)

116 Hampton St Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 3582
Architecture of Bridgetown, Commercial Bank of Australia, Western Australia
Architecture of Bridgetown, Commercial Bank of Australia, Western Australia


This Federation Free style building was constructed in 1909 to become a branch of the Commercial Bank of Australia.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Bridgetown Post Office

142 Hampton St Bridgetown
external image 105433412.jpg
state register
state register

Heritage Place No. 240
Architecture of Bridgetown, Post Office, Western Australia
Architecture of Bridgetown, Post Office, Western Australia

Originally known as the "Post and Telegraph" office, the Bridgetown GPO was built in 1890.
Prior to this the postal service was run from the Bridgedale homestead by John Blechynden in Geegelup. Mail came into town by horse and coach from Donnybrook.
In 1895 a regular mail service operated between Greenbushes and Bridgetown and when the railway was completed in 1898, mail would come in twice a week.
The Bridgetown Post Office was built in Federation Free Classical style.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Old Police Quarters, Bridgetown

144 Hampton St Bridgetown
Bridgetown - Old Gaol
Bridgetown - Old Gaol

Bridgetown - Old Gaol
state register
state register

Heritage Place No. 254external image img-10722-1394674029-1.jpg
Architectural Style: Federation Filigree
Old Gaol & Police Quarters, Bridgetown, a single-storey Victorian Georgian style brick and shingle former police station and lockup and Federation Filigree style police quarters, has cultural heritage significance for the following reason: The Gaol is the oldest government building in Bridgetown, and one of the oldest surviving buildings in the town.

The town's first police station was located down by the Blackwood River but in 1880 a new one was built on Hampton Street (this now being the old gaol!).

The old gaol included the police quarters which was first occupied by Constable John Bovell in 1880. The gaol had two cells, a kitchen and an exercise yard. The gaol was used right up until the 1970's when a new police station (but less attractive one) was built. The police quarters were used by the police until the 1980's.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

National Bank (former)

97 Hampton St Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 246
Architecture of Bridgetown, National Bank Building, Western Australia
Architecture of Bridgetown, National Bank Building, Western Australia

The National Bank building was built around 1910 and is indicative of bank construction of the time. By the 1970's the bank was no longer in use and is now occupied by commercial businesses.
Federation Free Style: The former bank is constructed of tuck-pointed stretcher bond brickwork with rendered detailing and a random-coursed, stone foundation.
  • The rendered detailing includes a triangular central parapet (with moulded shield and leaf motifs), parapet posts, moulded cornice, moulded window and door hoods (with triple brackets), plain string courses, moulded window sills and plain plinth.
  • The entrance to the building is emphasised by a slightly projecting central bay and recessed door, forming a shallow porch.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
Bridgetown - Freemason's Hall
Bridgetown - Freemason's Hall
Just about every town, big or small, in Western Australia has a Masonic Lodge. The Bridgetown lodge is known as the Nelson Freemasons Lodge No 60 of the WA Chapter.
  • The chapter was founded in 1899 (under the Scottish Constitution) by nine local freemasons.
  • The lodge was built in 1910 and features a gabled roof with a ventilation turret. (Federation Queen Anne style)

Bridgetown Hotel

Lot 16/17 Hampton St Bridgetown
Bridgetown Hotel
Bridgetown Hotel

Heritage Place No. 3195
Architecture of Bridgetown, Bridgetown Hotel, Western Australia
Architecture of Bridgetown, Bridgetown Hotel, Western Australia
The Bridgetown Hotel was built in the 1920's to replace the original hotel known as the Dawes (later the Cowan Hotel).

The original hotel was built from mud bricks and was situated just below street level, making it a steep step to the beer. When the new hotel was built, remnants of the original hotel were incorporated into the design.

The hotel is built in Federation Filigree style. The interior of the hotel features a jarrah staircase, pressed metal ceilings and a fireplace.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Bridgetown Lawn Tennis Club Pavilion

Nelson St Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 3590external image 103F.jpg

The Bridgetown Lawn Tennis Club was established in 1927 and the pavilion was constructed at about this time.
The pavilion is constructed of timber frame with weatherboard lining and an iron roof with a small central gable above the verandah. The walls and roof are currently painted green.

There is a concrete and brick terrace on the northern side of the building facing the courts which has been extended. There is also a brick shop on the western end of the structure which is not original.
There is an honour board on the verandah for players which dates from 1928.
There is also a memorial gate with stone piers and attractive wrought iron work, in memory of Tom Graham, foundation and life membe of the club, 1927-1945. The steps to the club are also a memorial to three club members.
The club is still a social focus in the town.
Style: Federation Bungalow
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Bridgetown Railway Station (fmr) (Railway Station and goods Shed)

Railway Reserve Bridgetown
Bridgetown - Old Railway Station
Bridgetown - Old Railway Station

state register
state register

Front of the Old Railway Station
Front of the Old Railway Station
The coming of the railway was probably the most influential factor affecting Bridgetown’s development in 1898.

The existing structure (weatherboard with iron roof) is substantially the same as it was originally constructed.

The Railway Station is currently leased to the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes by the Government and is home to the Blackwood Environment Society, Friends of the Forest and the Blackwood Landcare Office.

The building is listed on the Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes' Municipal Inventory.

Heritage Place No. 256

*
Heritage Council
Heritage Council

  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

St Brigid's Roman Catholic Church, Convent of Mercy & School (Ain Karim)

102 Roe St Bridgetown
Heritage Place No. 259

Catholic Church Roe Street 2006
Catholic Church Roe Street 2006

Convent Roe Street 2006
Convent Roe Street 2006




Heritage Council
Heritage Council





Parish Hall 1925 on left, Catholic Church on right
Parish Hall 1925 on left, Catholic Church on right

Convent with additional storey 1920s
Convent with additional storey 1920s

Heritage Council
Heritage Council

  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Bridgetown Civic and Community Centre (Bridgetown Town Hall, Mechanic's Institue (site))

1 Steere St Bridgetown
state register
state register

Federation Free Classical style
The Bridgetown-Greenbushes Shire Council buildings
The Bridgetown-Greenbushes Shire Council buildings

Heritage Place No. 249
The Mechanics Institute after 1906 renovations.
The Mechanics Institute after 1906 renovations.
Two-storey masonry building constructed in the Inter-war period that blends some Federation Free Classical style characteristics with more contemporary motifs.
Displays some of the aesthetic characteristics of the Federation Free Style.
Later additions to the building were carried out in the Late Twentieth Century Post-Modern Style.
Constructed on the previous Mechanic's Institute which was demolished.


View from SE corner of Hampton amd Steere Streets.JPG
View from SE corner of Hampton amd Steere Streets.JPG
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

Freemasons Hotel, Bridgetown

2 Steere St Bridgetown
Bridgetown - The Freemason's Hotel
Bridgetown - The Freemason's Hotel

state register
state register

Heritage Place No. 248
Architecture of Bridgetown, Freemasons Hotel, Western Australia
Architecture of Bridgetown, Freemasons Hotel, Western Australia


The hotel was built in 1904 by the Bunnings Brothers, timber millers from Manjimup who later established the Bunnings Hardware chain. They used timber from their mills and bricks from their own kilns. The design is known as Federation filigree style, with additions and internal alterations in the interwar Art Deco style.

It was built as a country retreat and 'health resort' with the aim of attracting wealthy holiday-makers from Perth.

A 1913 newspaper article states; The amenities at this date included acetylene gas lighting to the whole building, hot and cold running water, a plunge bath 'and other luxuries' which were available, such as horse stables and automobile garages.

external image images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFqXRp6_MflBfXgQKBjGiYuOpg4xafNQS_bP3osuYxr7tj4t78
  • Taking up the corner of Steere and Hampton Street is the Freemason Hotel, built by the Bunnings brothers between 1904-1907.
  • Retaining most of its original construction this fine old hotel once boasted 15 bedrooms, two dining rooms, a drawing and smoking room, gas lighting and best of all hot running water so you could really enjoy the plunge bath. Outside were stables and garages.
  • It was built in Federation Filigree style (with Inter-war Art Deco additions) and features red tuck pointed brick, corbelled chimneys and gabled roof line.
  • Heritage Council
    Heritage Council
  • Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes
    Shire of Bridgetown-Greenbushes

  1. ^ http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/Western-Australia/The-South-West/Bridgetown
  2. ^ http://bridgetownwahistory.com/home.html
  3. ^ http://www.blackwoodrivervalley.org.au/Bridgetown-Blackwood-River-Valley.html